ReplayGain Question
May 20, 2013 at 5:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Thunderbolt

New Head-Fier
wanna apply replaygain to my music files on my smartphone so I dont have to adjust the volume that much any more.

most stuff I have are full albums. in that situation its easy, I scan them separately as single albums. but I also have some folders like "80s", "clubbing" "electronic" with various different files from each genre in them which are albumwise not related to each other though. so whats the best thing to do with those, scan each of these folders as well as single album so that the average volume should be not too much different from my other regular full albums? but then there could still be a lot of difference between those single track of such a folder, because they are not related to each other, right? so would it perhaps make more sense to scan these folders and all their tracks as single tracks?

I dont know much about how replaygain works, is the loudness reference for replaygain always the same no matter whether I choose scan as single album or as single tracks?

May 21, 2013 at 5:18 AM Post #2 of 5
I would select all songs and "scan selection as albums (by tags)" through foobar2000.
Scanning as albums will preserve the album tracks original volume differences, it won't have much difference between single tracks and albums though.
Try to apply replay gain as single tracks to an album like The Who's Quadrophenia and you'll notice why is better keeping the replay gain as single albums.

May 21, 2013 at 7:29 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
Try to apply replay gain as single tracks to an album like The Who's Quadrophenia and you'll notice why is better keeping the replay gain as single albums.

I am doing this for the albums already. I am just wondering whats the best to do with those folders which contain misc files of the same genre, but which are not related to each other album wise. so basically whats the best solution to have all my files as close together as possible regarding loudness while preserving the internal differences of regular albums.

so scanning those folders i am speaking about as single track files should work best, if I understood you right?

May 21, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
I am doing this for the albums already. I am just wondering whats the best to do with those folders which contain misc files of the same genre, but which are not related to each other album wise. so basically whats the best solution to have all my files as close together as possible regarding loudness while preserving the internal differences of regular albums.

so scanning those folders i am speaking about as single track files should work best, if I understood you right?

yes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back