Replaygain doesn't balance out volumes evenly
Oct 30, 2010 at 10:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

TobaccoRoad

500+ Head-Fier
Nothing groundbreaking here, but I'm hoping someone could fix this issue for me. I tried searching the forum but couldn't find any useful information.

Here's my issue: replaygain doesn't seem to set up the volumes evenly. For example, without the replaygain, music with heavy dynamics such as electronic, metal, and hip-hop recordings are usually louder than genres like classical, acoustics and jazz (difference can be as wide as 10dbs). But when I apply the replaygain on my foobar, instead of volume being balanced out evenly, it seems to lean towards the opposite effect, such as jazz being louder than metal. I find this extremely annoying, because genres with heavy dynamics should be naturally louder than softer music. The point of the replaygain is to decrease the volume difference just enough so that it can be tolerable when we change the tracks, but I think the gain effect is more than it should be. It's obviously more balanced compared to NOT using the gain, but still isn't perfect imo. I tried using both track and album for source mode, but no luck so far.

Oct 31, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #4 of 8
I don't think this is a problem, but a feature of the way RG works. RG calculates track gain (whatever mode you have it in) based on the average level of the tracks. A metal track is typically uniformly loud, meaning RG calculates a relatively low gain for it. If a jazz track has quiet sections, then it will have a lower average level than the metal track and so its gain won't get reduced as much by RG. The result is that the peak sections of the jazz track will sound louder than anything in the metal track. This is the reason I only use RG for clipping prevention.

Nov 3, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
I don't think this is a problem, but a feature of the way RG works. RG calculates track gain (whatever mode you have it in) based on the average level of the tracks. A metal track is typically uniformly loud, meaning RG calculates a relatively low gain for it. If a jazz track has quiet sections, then it will have a lower average level than the metal track and so its gain won't get reduced as much by RG. The result is that the peak sections of the jazz track will sound louder than anything in the metal track. This is the reason I only use RG for clipping prevention.

so there aren't any clear-cut solution for this?

Nov 3, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #6 of 8
Well, you can make tracks uniformly loud with compression or boosting + hard limiter, but I guess that's not what you want except for something like parties.

btw, in foobar you can edit RG data directly by hand, but that's probably not what you want to do either

Nov 4, 2010 at 11:24 AM Post #8 of 8
If you use newer foobar you need to use Shift+right click on the song you need to change RG info, the hidden entry is in ReplayGain -> Edit ReplayGain information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back