Replay gain with classical music?
Jan 3, 2013 at 11:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

todd92371

100+ Head-Fier
Do any of you guys use replaygain with Classical music? I've noticed that the dynamic range makes it sometimes hard to hear the quiet parts.

Thanks,
todd

Jan 3, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #3 of 11
Yes, I use Replay Gain for classical music. It is correct that Replay Gain does not change the dynamic range within a track. What it does is change the volume of one track vs. another or one album vs. another depending on whether one is using track Replay Gain or album Replay Gain.

I think a lot of folks become confused because there are two different types of Replay Gain. Track Replay Gain and Album Replay Gain.

Track replay gain changes the volume of one track vs. another. Album replay gain changes the volume of one album vs. another while still preserving the differences in volume between tracks within each album. Neither one changes the dynamic range within a track.

Jan 4, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #4 of 11
I use iVolume. It allows me to apply the dynamic correction by album or by track. I rip to joined tracks with all of the movements of a symphony in a single file, so by track is fine.

Jan 4, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #5 of 11
Yep. iVolume is Apple's implementation of ReplayGain. They are basically the same thing.

Jan 4, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #6 of 11
Actually, it's a third party plugin. Apple has a thing called Sound Check, but it's crude compared to iVolume.

http://www.mani.de/en/ivolume/index.html

Jan 4, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #7 of 11
Ah, okay. I didn't realize it was a plug-in. I see that it actually implements ReplayGain where Apple's Sound Check didn't quite do it. One way or another, we all got to the same thing...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IVolume

Jan 4, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #8 of 11
I have heard that replaygain can implement distortion and clipping in classical music. I need to do some trials and see if I can detect any of this.

Jan 4, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #9 of 11
Clipping can result. It gets a little complicated, because it depends which implementation method you're using, what type of file you're talking about, what music player you're using, how much the particular file is being corrected, etc. etc. Here's a pretty good article:

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Replaygain

I use foobar2000 and so far I've only applied ReplayGain to MP3 files. I haven't been able to detect any audible clipping in my use of it so far, but your mileage may vary.

They might know more about it over in the Sound Science forum.

Jan 4, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #10 of 11
IVolume can't clip. You set a percentage of volume to create headroom and it normalizes everything down to that before processing. I set it to 85% and it works well.

Jan 4, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #11 of 11
foobar2000 uses the preamp feature mentioned in the hydrogenaudio article under the "clipping" section to prevent clipping. From your description of iVolume, I think it's very similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back