Replacing Zen Vision: M, suggestions?
May 16, 2007 at 4:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

petethepanda

New Head-Fier
I had a Vision M for a few months, and I liked it a lot, always been a fan of Creative players. However, due to some... interesting occurrences in life, I no longer have it.
blink.gif

The biggest thing I'm looking for is sound quality. Buttons/interface come next. Video playback isn't horribly important, but it's a nice perk (the fact that the Zen could take almost anything I threw at it without conversion really spoiled me). Wouldn't kill me to have a player without it.

So. I was looking at the Gigabeat. I like the interface, love the dedicated controls on the side. A lot of people tell me to just get a Zune instead, but then more people tell me to avoid the Zune. I've also considered just getting a new Zen, but since I've been given the opportunity, I'd sort of like to try something new for kicks. Suggestions? Other ones to look at? I'm generally an iPod hater, but I'm not very aware (at all) of mods and whatnot for them.

May 16, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #2 of 11
I think you'd enjoy the Zune. It has a great interface, and great sound quality. It will only play WMV, which is a disappointment after the ZVM (I went from Zen to Zune), but overall, I like the Zune a lot.

Don't get a gigabeat S series. No matter what. It's a half-baked player that is running an extinct interface (PMC) and has no support from Toshiba. The F series would only be worth it if you put rockbox on it: www.rockbox.org

but for simplicity, I say you'd be happy with the Zune. trying going to a local B&M shop and try it out for yourself.

May 16, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #3 of 11
iaudio x5? great SQ, and supports like every audio format, plus rockbox support

May 16, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #5 of 11
i would have recommended the X5(L) as well, but the interface sucks. Its sound is VERY good, my favorite of the DAPs I've heard.

The Zune has comparable sound, but a MUCH nicer interface.

May 17, 2007 at 8:14 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockin_amigo14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i would have recommended the X5(L) as well, but the interface sucks. Its sound is VERY good, my favorite of the DAPs I've heard.

The Zune has comparable sound, but a MUCH nicer interface.

Rockbox could be installed to solve this problem
tongue.gif

May 18, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #9 of 11
I think I'm just going to wait it out for the X7s this summer. Thanks guys.

In the meantime, I think I'm going to pick myself up a Stone to tide me over. One last question... are there any retail stores that would carry them yet? I was just going to order it from Creative, but I'm going crazy without music and kind of want instant gratification. :-D

Edit: Know what, I take that back. I think I'm going to go with a Sansa Express. The screen and the expandability is nice, especially considering I already have a microsd card.

May 18, 2007 at 2:07 PM Post #10 of 11
^^ you could get a Insignia video, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back