Replacing woofer's in Pioneer HPM-700s
Jul 23, 2010 at 4:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

011mbarnes

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

As the title suggests, I'm wondering whether it's worth it to try to figure out how to replace the woofer's in a pair of Pioneer HPM-700s I recently came across (for free), and if so, how to go about doing that. The woofer's themselves have this rattle that I believe is because of the absence of this foam lining that usually goes there. 

Jul 23, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #2 of 6
You can buy a universal kit to redo the foam bit on those old woofers from partsexpress.com Have a look and ask the techs there...they will know what to buy and how to use it. If the voice coils are ok then the new surround should restore them to there former glory.

Peete.

Jul 24, 2010 at 11:15 AM Post #3 of 6
Replacing surrounds is only successful if you keep the cone centered on the coil- if you glue the cone to the surround a little cock-eyed, you'll have distortion. I found this out the hard way, not realizing how careful you need to be with some drivers. Don't start gluing one side, moving around- equally adhere the edges going back and forth.
Good luck.

Jul 24, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #4 of 6
Refoaming isnt that hard to do.  Very intimidating, but actually a pretty easy job.  The hard part is getting the old foam off.  The good refoam kits come with shims for the voice coil.  If the kit you buy doesnt have shims, you can make your own out of business cards.  The easiest way to remove old foam is to use acetone.  I made the mistake the first time using lacquer thinner...took 2 hours just to get half of the old foam off.  Acetone works quickly, took me 15 minutes to get all of the foam off of the other woofer.  Get a rag to wipe the acetone on the old glue, itll soften it up good.  I use popsicle sticks to scrape the glue from the woofer frame, oit doesnt gouge the frame like metal does.  You can also try and roll the old glue with your fingers, but itll feel like youre missing your fingerprints after youre done lol.

Jul 24, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #5 of 6
I didn't mean to say it was hard, only to be careful about centering the cone. Your early mistake is what I am talking about, experience helps. I agree about getting the old foam off being hard- exacto knife works well.

May 19, 2021 at 1:49 AM Post #6 of 6
Hello all,

As the title suggests, I'm wondering whether it's worth it to try to figure out how to replace the woofer's in a pair of Pioneer HPM-700s I recently came across (for free), and if so, how to go about doing that. The woofer's themselves have this rattle that I believe is because of the absence of this foam lining that usually goes there.
The most imortant thing about these woofers is treat them very,very carefully. they are extreamley fragile, and when they crack...that's it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back