Replacing tweeters, does it matter how many watts is it?
Nov 3, 2012 at 2:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

prebuss

New Head-Fier
Hello, hi-fiers again :)

I have speakers Sony SS-E36 with the following specifications:

maximum power (nominal)
50 W
maximum power (maximal)
70 W

And I am planning to replace my blown tweeters. Does it matter, how many watts will it be? I've read somewhere that the ratio between Woofer and tweeter should be 1:10

I made mathematics calculations and found out:

x+10x=50

x=~4.5 Watt.

So it means that I need a tweeter with 4.5 watts? Or can I buy any other with more watts, like 25W? Or if I add more powerful tweeter than it was by default, does it mean that I would get frequency's imbalance between tweeter and woofer?

Cheers,
Justin

Mar 1, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #2 of 3
The wattage you post  is it RMS-which is the real measurement of power in relation to audio.? You dont need high-power tweeters changing tweeters without knowing the cross-over frequency/ component values is not the way to go . The manufacturer who knows the design has chosen the types fitted for a certain quality of reproduction. Yes you can buy "high-power" tweeters. But you must realize that they were blown because of overload.This could mean that your amp distorts at high frequency with harmonics at high volume level. It might be okay under normal use but not at full blast.There are a lot more variables but just fit the same types that are in them . At high frequency the power is low thats why tweeters survive.But not when a distorted high power signal is generated.Look up Audio hi-fi speaker design.

Mar 1, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #3 of 3
Best to replace the blown ones with IDENTICAL parts.

Best NOT to replace them with anything BUT identical parts.

Drivers have 3 principal specifications. Power handling, impedance, efficiency. At very least pick a tweeter with the same power handling, impedance and efficiency.

Get it wrong and you will have a pair of speakers that are useless. You will have spent some money and you will still need a new pair of speakers.

I think you will find it hard to find the same tweeters, but open up the box and look at them, see if you can see a serial number. SS-E36 are OK, but not great. If you can't get the same tweeters, buy some secondhand speakers, maybe off ebay...

w

Users who are viewing this thread

Back