Replacing speakers with headphones for college.
Aug 6, 2005 at 6:30 AM Post #16 of 33
Hank - don't bother with the Quiet Comforts. They aren't terrible, but there are better closed cans to be had. Unless isolation is a must, I wouldn't go with the e4, but I have a (recently developed) thing against canalphones; while they sound good I don't think they're that great for the money unless portability and isolation are a must.

Try the A900. It's one of the best closed cans for the money, and is definitely hi-fi, though admittedly at the bottom of the ladder. I'd rank it on almost on par with the HD595, but seeing how I don't much care for the 595's presentation, I prefer the A900 over it.

If being open isn't an issue, then go with Grados. They'll liven up your music something fierce
rs1smile.gif

Aug 6, 2005 at 11:54 AM Post #17 of 33
Notre Dame? Geez... Well, it's going to be tough to start life out on the wrong foot like that, but I guess it's too late to change now. (Michigan grad).
biggrin.gif

For a dorm room, I agree with those above you recommended closed cans. Some isolation and leak protection will do wonders for good roommate relations. The problem is your roommate is likely to be a moron anyway.
biggrin.gif

Canal phones would be nice, except if your dorm is anything like mine was, there are people coming in and out all the time and you may want to put your headphones on and off -- hence canal phones would be somewhat of a burden.

The A900 are my current favorte closed headphone. I also recently tried the Beyer 250-80 and liked it a lot too -- and it's a bit cheaper.

Good luck -- except for September 10.

Aug 6, 2005 at 3:44 PM Post #18 of 33
Don't worry, the quiet comforts were meant as a joke since the one guy told me to try the tri-ports since he was a USC grad. Thanks for the thoughts. What is the best place to get the A900s if I decide on those?

Aug 6, 2005 at 4:00 PM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by HankTheTank
Don't worry, the quiet comforts were meant as a joke since the one guy told me to try the tri-ports since he was a USC grad. Thanks for the thoughts. What is the best place to get the A900s if I decide on those?

Audiocubes, a Head-Fi sponsor (see links at top/bottom of the page)
smily_headphones1.gif
If you become a Head-Fi contributor I seem to recall an AC discount, too...

Aug 6, 2005 at 4:09 PM Post #20 of 33
From my experience this year with a roomate.
ER4Ps Great Isolation but i found them irritating for extended listening (3+ hours).

Keeping in mind my roomate was exceedingly reasonable (never complained about anything).

Grados leak a significant amount.

HD650s. Not as bad, though I still felt bad if we were both studying.

Having heard the A900s and not really liking the sound, I ended up sticking with a combination of er4s and hd650s.

Having not heard the HD595s they would still be my first choice for you music at that price range. If bass impact is not your thing then A900s would probably be fine.

Aug 6, 2005 at 8:11 PM Post #21 of 33
I have yet to find a reason not to suggest the two headphones I currently own as options.

The ATH-A900's are, to me, superb unamped close headphones that pack a decent punch in the low end, do not get tiresome with long listens, and overall have a very clean sound.

For IEM's, I still rave about my Future Sonics EM3's purchased for $99. Due to my ears, I use the ETY large yellow foamies instead of the foamies the EM3's came with. I get great unamped sound out of my Zen Micro, and with the addition of the $60 Pocket Amp2 V2, I find my portable getup to rival many home systems. As with the ATH-A900's, the EM3's don't get tiresome with long listens, have good low-end punch, and overall sound great.

I suppose one of these days I'll find a reason not to suggest what I own, but that has yet to happen.

Aug 6, 2005 at 9:46 PM Post #22 of 33
I'm in college and am facing a similar issue. I'm exchanging this semester to China and my roommate is going to be a local. I purchased the Shure e4's for office/sleep listening and they are awesome. Great isolation and they are really comfortable for extended listening (I listen for 15+ hours a day - 8ish for work, and 8 ish when I sleep).

Good luck next year,
C

Aug 6, 2005 at 9:50 PM Post #23 of 33
Have to add the Beyerdynamic DT770Pro80 to the mix. They meet your sonic requirements, and provide some isolation, and are very comfortable.

I have and like Shure E3c's, but wouldn't want them to be my main/only cans, since I think they can be uncomfortable to use on a regular basis. But they both sound great and isolate VERY well.

If you don's want these headphones for portable use at all, then the DT770Pro80 might be a really good way to go. They are not the most accurate cans out there, but they really do sound great, especially with rock and jazz.

Aug 6, 2005 at 11:26 PM Post #24 of 33
You couold try the sennheiser hd-25. It is a closed can for ~$200. It is also easily driven from portable players and is easy to transport.

Aug 12, 2005 at 1:40 PM Post #25 of 33
I've been a little busy getting stuff together for college and lurking around the board some reading up on some different opinions. I think I'm between the Shure E4s and the A900s and was wondering if anybody could give me a small mini-review or direct comparison between the two. Thanks very much in advance.

Aug 12, 2005 at 2:39 PM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

I've been a little busy getting stuff together for college and lurking around the board some reading up on some different opinions. I think I'm between the Shure E4s and the A900s and was wondering if anybody could give me a small mini-review or direct comparison between the two. Thanks very much in advance.

I own the A900's and a pair of Shure E2cs. First of all, I'm really like the A900's - fully recommended. But can't compare it much to the E4's, having never heard them.

However I think more important than a sound comparison is a physical comparison. The A900's are kind of a stay-at-home headphone. They are big, and not really portable. When planned, you could probably feel comfortable taking them to the library from your dorm, but you can't carry them around with you all the time.

Canalphones can go anywhere and block out a ridiculous amount of sound. However, over long periods of time, I find them to be a little uncomfortable.

So, my advice would be that if you do most of your studying in your dorm room, take the A900's. The feel and sound great. If you want to have headphones with you all the time, canalphones are the best option.

Aug 12, 2005 at 5:15 PM Post #28 of 33
Quote:

Well, I've weighed the positives and negatives of the physical aspects so I was just wondering the sound difference was to help make my final decision.

Well I have never heard the e4cs but the A900's are absolutely amazing to my ears. Perhaps more interesting for you to know, however, is that any of my friends who try them on, friends without head-fi experince, immediately say, "Wow. These are really good headphones." They may not agree that they are worth $200 though.

Aug 12, 2005 at 5:39 PM Post #30 of 33
If you aren't going to use the e4s for portible use. I will go with the A900's for sure. In general, having the much experience wth shure lines and owning A900's. I would go with the A900s. Unless again if you are going to use the shure e4s outside or at the gym.

A900s have good highs and really nice bass. The level of detail is equal to or better then e4s. E4s are more neutral headphone, less highs and alot less bass. The middles are what the E4s are going to have over the A900s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back