Replacing single driver in HD580s?
Apr 27, 2009 at 4:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Telix

100+ Head-Fier
Somehow one of my drivers on my 10 year old HD580's has become damaged, which is quite unfortunate. I'm concerned that replacing a single driver will make the sound incredibly unbalanced, as they have literally thousands of hours on them and a new driver on one side will mess everything up.

So I guess my plan is to get two new drivers from Sennheiser along with the HD600 grills and keep them for when the Denon's get uncomfortable during an all-day listening session or for music where they might do better.

Thoughts on this?

Apr 27, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #3 of 4
yeah, you should get a matching pair. because your still working driver has tons of hours on it already AND because they'll probably send you the newer white material drivers while your 10 year old 580's came with the dark material drivers. People have reported that the newer drivers are brighter sounding and less veiled, but i haven't done any comparison listening myself.

Apr 27, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcpoor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, you should get a matching pair. because your still working driver has tons of hours on it already AND because they'll probably send you the newer white material drivers while your 10 year old 580's came with the dark material drivers. People have reported that the newer drivers are brighter sounding and less veiled, but i haven't done any comparison listening myself.

I heard a much newer pair of 580's and found them pretty bright, but a LOT more bass as well. It was very odd and the owner of the 580s agreed with me completely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back