Replacing Shure E2c: IE7 vs PFE vs ?
May 5, 2009 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Exci

100+ Head-Fier
So my E2cs are failing for the second time (the usual cable problem) and since this replacement pair is already well over two years out of warranty, I need to buy new ones soon I'm afraid. As new earphones always keep you wanting more, I figured why not bump up the price range..
beyersmile.png

Since 2004, a lot has changed in the world of IEMs and while I've been reading up, I still wish to ask for some advice on a new pair. I have basically narrowed it down to the IE7 (EUR 137 = ~ $180) and Audeo PFE (~EUR 130 = ~$170), but I'm open for other suggestions. I have also considered the Monster Turbines, but I can only get them here for roughly the same price as the IE7s, so I don't think the price tag is justified. $180, including shipping, are definitely the limit, so only serious suggestions around or below that price please! The IE7s seem a fantastic deal at this price though or am I mistaken?

Source is a D2+ and I listen mostly to rock (basically all styles of rock, including some metal), but I also listen to a great deal of acoustic, alternative, jazz, and singer/songwriter kind of music and I occasionally use them to monitor guitar recordings (both acoustic and electric). I've always enjoyed the E2c in sound signature, meaning that I generally prefer a somewhat warm sound signature. However, accuracy and soundstage have become increasingly important to me to be able to transcribe music accurately.

From what I've read the IE7s seem a great fit. I first leaned towards the PFEs, but I'm afraid that they are too "clean" and too thin in sound. Can anybody compare them to the Shure E2s for me?

Thanks to those willing to help out!

May 6, 2009 at 10:46 AM Post #3 of 5
Thank you for your comment. I noticed that you've been commenting on their lack of isolation all over the board, so how big of a step down would it be from the shures? I have owned CX300s in the past, but wasn't too impressed with their isolation (but it was adequate, just not too good on planes though). Then again, I've been using the black silicon tips with my shures for comfort reasons ever since I got rid of the CX300s and they isolate a lot less than the foams / clear silicon tips.

Bottom line is, do they isolate better / about the same / worse than the CX300s? And I assume they are miles ahead of the CX300s? Because despite the raves on this board at the time, I always found them too muddy and undetailed.

May 6, 2009 at 10:56 AM Post #4 of 5
I have the IE7's and I have to crank up the volume a bit if I don't want to hear my mother cleaning the house
tongue.gif
But they have amazing soundstage, details and bass and they isolate good enough for my needs
smily_headphones1.gif

May 6, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Exci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you for your comment. I noticed that you've been commenting on their lack of isolation all over the board, so how big of a step down would it be from the shures? I have owned CX300s in the past, but wasn't too impressed with their isolation (but it was adequate, just not too good on planes though). Then again, I've been using the black silicon tips with my shures for comfort reasons ever since I got rid of the CX300s and they isolate a lot less than the foams / clear silicon tips.

Bottom line is, do they isolate better / about the same / worse than the CX300s? And I assume they are miles ahead of the CX300s? Because despite the raves on this board at the time, I always found them too muddy and undetailed.

isolation wise id say they arent too dissimilar to the cx300 but they are fractionally worse.

sound wise they are vastly better of course, the cx300 only got rave reviews becasue its so cheap. for its price it is good. however i think the IE7 is really very good value for money in fact the only issue i have with them is the comparative lack of isolation they give me. im just so used to having tons of isolation when i dont have it every little noise pisses me off. ive been out once wearing them and i just didnt like it so never again.

i think they would suit you very well from the music types you mention though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back