Replacing SE530 strained cable & plug
Mar 22, 2012 at 12:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

hoanglong

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

Same old problem the cable has now snapped and im thinking to replace the cable & plug my self since the warranty has now expired. Should be a straight forward job I guess? 

My question is since im located in the UK which cable and plug would you recommend I get.
Also the foamy cable restrainer near the driver has worn out(the cable cut the foam in 2 @_@). 
I have now removed that foamy bit, though what would you recommend I get/do to prevent that section from snapping in the future?

Also here's a pic of the damage.

Thanks in advance.
kb

Mar 23, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #2 of 2
I just did this not more than 2 months ago. I snipped the leads off the old plug. Made sure left and right sides were even. Bought a REAN 1/8' plug from Mouser. REAN is a subsidiary of Neutrik so I thought the quality would be fine. When I stripped the wires I noticed there was some copper shielding (ground) on both wires. Took both and twisted them together to make one ground wire. Tinned the whole thing. Now both wires are connected. Stripped the main signal wires. I think they were red for right and blue for left. These wires had some sort of white shielding. I just turned up the heat on my iron to melt through the shielding and tinned both left and right wires. Then finally I used a DMM (digital multi meter) to find my left and right channels on the plug terminals. You just need to do a continuity check to find this info. Tip is left, ring is right, and sleeve is ground. Soldered them up and made sure I put a shrink tube on first to keep things neat. Used a heat gun and shrunk my shrink tube and voila! Finito! Good Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back