Replacing QC2s, advice appreciated
Nov 10, 2008 at 10:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

LeftyAce

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I have a pair of Bose QC2s that have finally died a slow death (physically...I'm a little rough on them, but they're meant for traveling, right?).

Due to the price, plus the fact that apparently Bose is notoriously not durable, I'm looking for alternative noise canceling 'phones.

I do not want anything in- or on-ear.

I'm looking for something with good noise canceling, although from what I've read Bose may be the gold standard in this regard...that's fine, something not quite as good is ok, as long as they still get the job done.

I'm mainly listening to classical and jazz out of an mp3 player or computer sound card. Durability is important (I do a fair amount of bus, plane and train travel, so I need a pair that can be stuffed into a bookbag either straight up, or in a protective case).

My budget is kind of "anything less than the $300 I'd pay for QC2s" but under $200 would be preferable.

*Edit* Based on searching around the forums, it looks like the ATH-ANC7s might be just the ticket? Any comparison between their isolation vs. the Bose? Durability?

Thanks in advance!

-Lefty

Nov 11, 2008 at 3:19 AM Post #2 of 5
We generally advise against active noise cancellation, option for closed cans that passively isolate well instead. There are pros and cons of each, of course. In short, active noise cancellation comes with a compromise in SQ; passive noise isolation tends to come with increased pressure on the ears (to clamp the drivers down). That said, I think the best option is Sennheiser HD-25 1 II (nb: NOT SP). ~$189 on Amazon.

Nov 11, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for the input guys.

I hear what you're saying as between noise blocking and noise canceling, but I don't like stuff pressing _on_ my ears, so the Sennheisers are pretty much out. I'm going to see if I can try out a pair of the ATH-ANC7s (the store near me has them for twice what Amazon's charging, but at least I might be able to try them out).

Any suggestions on passive blocking that isn't going to squash my ears?

Nov 26, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #5 of 5
I realize this is old, but in case anyone else has a similar question, here's my experience:

Got a pair of the Audio Technica's, and they're junk as compared to the bose. They're more solidly built, but the noise cancellation will pick up the sound you're trying to listen to and try to cancel it as well, resulting in weird fluttering. Seems to me the Bose are in fact worth the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back