Replacing or modding the cable?
Nov 23, 2011 at 7:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

pancakeplease

100+ Head-Fier
I have a pair of UE SuperFi 5vis that did not last an hour of listening time. bought it brand new, listened probably 10 minutes on 5 different occasions. Looked down, the straight cable 3.5mm jack is already deteriorated. The wires are fine and the sound is fine but the cable's rubber is detached and that means it's a matter of time before the wire frays and I lose sound to one or both of the earbuds.

I'm no electrician so does anyone know how easy it is to replace the entire cable/wire? The wires also conduct noise like crazy and any movement sounds like thunder in my ears. 

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about. 

I was originally thinking of replacing that 3.5mm straight jack with a right angle one or even a sturdy metal one somehow.. (have no clue how though). But if it's the same cost, I can just replace the entire wiring/cable. I don't use the mic ever. 

Nov 24, 2011 at 8:45 AM Post #2 of 3
Would try get a new one through warranty. If that don't work then it's time to warm up the soldering iron.

Nov 24, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #3 of 3
Yeah the people at UE said that my warranty "expired" which is bs cause I only had it for like 4 months. But I did'nt keep the receipt so I got screwed. Instead they offered 50% off on any UE products which is a great deal if i was looking to buy TripleFi10s or something but that's out of my budget. 

I'm going to be busting out the solder iron and modding this bad boy by shortening it and adding a detachable extension cord. We'll see how it turns out..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back