Replacing my Sennheiser HD-555's
Sep 1, 2012 at 8:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

wazabees

New Head-Fier
Hello there.

As the title indicates, I'm looking to replace my Sennheiser HD-555 headphones. They have served me well, but due to a change in living arrangement (+1) the fact that they're open headphones just doesn't work anymore.

What are my criteria for new cans?

I'm using my headphones with a computer and a Nuforce Icon uDAC.

- Quiet. No more open head-phones. As quiet as possible to not disturb anyone around. :p
- Comfort. I love that I can wear the 555s for hours on end without any discomfort. Even when I have my glasses on.
- Sound. I've been happy with the sound from the 555s (I like a bit of bass when listening to electronica). I also listen to hard rock/metal.
- I'd like to be able to use them with a home stereo as well (watching a loud movie when the +1 is trying to relax... Is wireless even an option?
- Price. Somewhere around the same price range as the 555s. I'd say $100 - $250 (€80 - €195)

I think that's it. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. :)

--
Fred

Sep 1, 2012 at 8:19 AM Post #2 of 3
The Senhesier 650's are a big upgrade from your 555s but might cost a little more, if you dont want to buy these i might be able to reccomend you something else :)

EDIT: open did not read your top line..

get the v modas ? since you like bass or something from audio technica m50s or maybe sennheiser m25 mrk ii

Also remember closed wont have the same sound, its less open smaller if any sound stage, can sound muddy.. and not air'd so dosent sound like its comeing from speakers.  like i said though these are good ones -  audio technica m50s and sennheiser m25 mrk ii.

Sep 2, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
get the v modas ? since you like bass or something from audio technica m50s or maybe sennheiser m25 mrk ii

Also remember closed wont have the same sound, its less open smaller if any sound stage, can sound muddy.. and not air'd so dosent sound like its comeing from speakers.  like i said though these are good ones -  audio technica m50s and sennheiser m25 mrk ii.

Thanks for your suggestions. Yes, I realize the sound stage will change going from open headphones to closed ones. But I still hope to find some decent ones that'll keep me (and those around me) happy. I also considered Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO. Familiar with those at all?  And the Sennheiser HD 25 appear to be on-ear instead of around ear. I suspect that will be more uncomfortable when wearing glasses. I think it's back to reading lots more reviews.

--
Fred

Users who are viewing this thread

Back