Replacing my Philips Citiscape Uptowns, looking for a closed-back Sennheiser HD558 alternative
Nov 10, 2016 at 3:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

bdalenoord

New Head-Fier
Hey!

I'm currently looking to replace my Philips Citiscape Uptowns as the ear pads have started disintegrating rapidly over the past few days. I use these in the office and like them because they actually seal off really well (MusicSeal as Philips calls it) and that's a nice feature to have in an open floor office plan.

One thing I'm not really happy about is the sound signature. I've got a pair of Sennheiser HD558's at home and they are much brighter and more lifely, whereas the Philips is a bit more on the bassy side. I'm now looking for a pair of cans similar to the Sennheisers, but with a closed-back design as I don't want to be broadcasting my music throughout the office.

I listen to all sorts of music, from classical to metal to dance/trance. The fairly neutral sound signature of the HD558's works really well for this, so the sound signature should be comparable to those. I know the sound stage will be limited a bit by the fact that I'm looking for a closed-back model. I've already found this thread which suggests the AKG K553s or the AT-A900x's but both are not available here in the Netherlands so those are not really an option.

Anyone with a suggestion?

Nov 10, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #2 of 9
You should be able to get the Massdrop (AKG) K553 Pros.
Massdrop is not allowed to ship them out of the country....but.
There are shippers with in the USA, that Massdrop can ship to, then that shipper can send the K553 to the Netherlands.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/akg-k553-pro-studio-headphone

Nov 10, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #3 of 9
Sennheiser makes a closed back version of the HD 598, called the HD 598 CS.  They are available now at Amazon in the US, don't know if they are available in Europe.

And they have the new HD 569, though both of these models I've mentioned seem overpriced.

Nov 24, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #4 of 9
Hey! Thanks for the replies, I've kinda lost vision of this thread as mail notifications haven't arrived... dunno what happened there!

The Massdrop-AKG is currently inactive, so I'm late to that party. Interesting pair of cans though, too bad it is not widely available as of yet (Amazon sells the K553 Pro, but not in Europe).

The Sennheiser 598CS seems like another pair of interesting cans, but the same problem with availability applies there as well. The HD569 currently costs 180 euros, which is a bit much, but I'll keep an eye out for a deal sometime soon. The Citiscapes are actually holding up pretty well, though they don't look as pretty anymore... :frowning2:

Nov 24, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #5 of 9
If you don't mind looking a bit like a dork?  I have great love for the beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80's ...or if you want a somewhat more portable device / mobile friendly the COP+ perhaps.

if you did get the DT770's you'd probably want to pick up a little amp or some sort for them.

Nov 24, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #6 of 9
"One thing I'm not really happy about is the sound signature. I've got a pair of Sennheiser HD558's at home and they are much brighter and more lifely, whereas the Philips is a bit more on the bassy side."

That is the difference between closed and open headphones. A closed headphone sounds closed in and typically has stronger bass, while a good open headphone typically has much better soundstage, and better midrange detail. If you want isolation, more midrange detail, and less bass, try  balanced armature IEMs(in the ear canal isolating earphones). I can no longer use closed circumaural(around the ear) isolating headphones, as my ears become uncomfortably hot very quickly.

Nov 25, 2016 at 4:24 AM Post #7 of 9
I know a smaller sound stage is an characteristic of a closed-back pair of cans, it is no problem but I like as much of a neutral sound as possible.

I've just bought the Sennheiser HD598CS for 100 euros via Amazon Germany, will be receiving it tuesday or wednesday and I'll post back my opinions here!

Nov 30, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #8 of 9
I've been listening to the HD598cs I got on black Friday for a couple of days now, and I enjoy them quite a bit. They aren't quite as good as my HD595, but I like them a bit better than my ATH-M50.

I find that it does a fairly good job of creating an open soundstage despite being a close set. Not as good as an open set does, but much better than the M50. Overall I would say they do an adequate job of recreating the sounds of the HD595 (or HD598) while offering a closed design. I say that with the understanding that compromises were made to offer the closed design. At the $150 standard price on Amazon I probably would have been more lukewarm, but for $100 I can't complain at all. The $250 price is a bit ludicrous though. These are certainly not worth that.

Dec 5, 2016 at 5:37 AM Post #9 of 9
I've been listening to my HD598Cs for quite some time now and must say I'm impressed! They sound really rich but remain very clear at the same time, which is exactly what I'm looking for! The sound seal is awesome, the comfort is much higher than the Philips so I'm very happy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back