Replacing my DT 990s (250 Ohm)
Jan 8, 2020 at 5:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

richruzz

New Head-Fier
Figure this would be the best place to ask since it was originally where I got the suggestion for this pair a while ago. My DT 990s have been around since 2014 and my use is PRIMARILY PC gaming and music enjoyment coming far in 2nd for the other usage. Just recently I've noticed my left ear isn't picking up audio queues as well and is a bit more dull than my right ear so figured they're just getting old and looking for a solid pair to replace them with but I've been out of the loop on what is solid.

They'd be paired with a Soundblaster ZxR and in the future if necessary if/when the ZxR dies I'd get a DAC/Amp combo probably or whatever would be the most ideal on a PC setup for Gaming enjoyment.

So it comes down to anyone have a solid suggestion for something to replace these with that isn't crazily extra expensive and makes sense to buy? I enjoy adventure, RPG as much as I do competitive shooter type games where audio queues mean a lot.. I just like having good sound representation rather than purely just advantage and sounds like crap. (ideal combo would be both)

Jan 8, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #2 of 15
First of all, what is your budget you can/want to spend?

Jan 8, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #3 of 15
Figure this would be the best place to ask since it was originally where I got the suggestion for this pair a while ago. My DT 990s have been around since 2014 and my use is PRIMARILY PC gaming and music enjoyment coming far in 2nd for the other usage. Just recently I've noticed my left ear isn't picking up audio queues as well and is a bit more dull than my right ear so figured they're just getting old and looking for a solid pair to replace them with but I've been out of the loop on what is solid.

They'd be paired with a Soundblaster ZxR and in the future if necessary if/when the ZxR dies I'd get a DAC/Amp combo probably or whatever would be the most ideal on a PC setup for Gaming enjoyment.

So it comes down to anyone have a solid suggestion for something to replace these with that isn't crazily extra expensive and makes sense to buy? I enjoy adventure, RPG as much as I do competitive shooter type games where audio queues mean a lot.. I just like having good sound representation rather than purely just advantage and sounds like crap. (ideal combo would be both)
Soundmagic HP200 headphones, like an improved DT990.
https://www.amazon.com/SoundMAGIC-Premium-Open-Back-Folding-Headphones/dp/B00DJ61FHY
Massdrop/Sennheiser HD58X headphones, nice for music.
https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennheiser-hd-58x-jubilee-headphones

Jan 8, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #4 of 15
First of all, what is your budget you can/want to spend?

Since I originally got them somewhere between 150-200 figured I'd go in the 150-250 range since saving up for other PC parts (hoping for a 3080Ti variant this year sometime)

I COULD buy another pair of DT990s they did me well for so long, but just wanted to see if there were newer options that are a solid choice for PC Gaming and general immersive audio when playing stuff. (that can pair with my SB ZxR till it poops out)

Jan 9, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #5 of 15
Since I originally got them somewhere between 150-200 figured I'd go in the 150-250 range since saving up for other PC parts (hoping for a 3080Ti variant this year sometime)

I COULD buy another pair of DT990s they did me well for so long, but just wanted to see if there were newer options that are a solid choice for PC Gaming and general immersive audio when playing stuff. (that can pair with my SB ZxR till it poops out)
I think the DT990 then. I would be doing that atleast if I were you. Beyerdynamic knows how to impress, especially within these price ranges. I got the DT770 250ohm and am so impressed by its sounds and excellent noise isolation, I ordered the DT770 80ohm for portable devices.

And am in the same boat, hoping for the 3080Ti too but to be honest, I doubt it as AMD still has no 2080Ti killer. And the absurd prices aren't making it any better.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 1:34 AM Post #7 of 15
Any particular reason you'd rate them over the DT990s?
I own the HP200 and DT990, to me the HP200 just sounds better (over all).

Jan 10, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #8 of 15
I own the HP200 and DT990, to me the HP200 just sounds better (over all).
+1 for the Soundmagic HP200.Just bought these for the second time after missing my original pair.I think people are put off buying these because they don't have the big brand name,but you get a bargain price on a headphone that equals and generally surpasses the sound of the mainstream.Very comfortable as well.

Jan 12, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #10 of 15
Anyone happen to have any other suggestions in the 150-250 range or just go with the DT 990s again?

Ended up trying that HP200 pair and the audio seemed WAY off out of the box so scared me away just now.

Jan 13, 2020 at 12:47 AM Post #11 of 15
for gaming, in that price range that is easy to drive...Check out the Fidelio X2.

Jan 13, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #12 of 15
Jan 13, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #13 of 15
Sorry the Soundmagic HP200 headphones did not workout for you (But i still like them).
Massdrop/Sennheiser HD58X headphones.
https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennheiser-hd-58x-jubilee-headphones
Oh believe me, we all know you like them. You recommend them incessantly. I'm somewhat baffled honestly because I see you suggest them over and over ...and every once in a while I google them and the only reviews I can EVER find are mediocre at best. Even the ones that seem positive, if you really analyze them closer they are polite reviews for a product that the reviewer got for free. So then I think, well, maybe they are all missing something that Purple Angel gets, and I try to find a good deal on them to check it out for myself...but the cheapest I have ever seen them is $120...That's $20 more than I paid for the fidelio X2hr, and the L2...for a headphone that is reviewed as Meh...except by you, who seem to think they are the answer to all things headphone...I don't get it.

Jan 13, 2020 at 10:58 PM Post #15 of 15
Anyone know about https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-H.../dp/B00004SY4H/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_txt?ie=UTF8

I can say screw it and spend more if it's a really good sounding/immersive pair for gaming. Anyone know about the 600 or 650s of Sennheiser? (I remember buying a pair long ago and the band was so strong on the model I got I was getting shooting pain down my neck and spine lmao)
Fidelio X2hr is $200 less and has better soundstage and doesn't require you to buy an amp to sound good. But, yeah, the HD600 is good...
don't take my word for it, Tyell was a very well respected reviewer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back