Replacing my beloved travel set - Sony XBA-40's and Z ultra fablet
Aug 7, 2016 at 8:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Blackstitch

New Head-Fier
I am at a loss here when it came to replacing my Sony XBA-40's and Z ultra fablet combo. 

Originally received XBA-1 earbuds as a gift and I loved them so much, decided purchase Sony Z Ultra fablet(mini tablet) as a 6.4" 4G LTE for business use as a trial. Emails, documents, web service and overall travel entertainment devise. Had a Company issue 4" iPhone that was a joke. Fell in love with it even though the camera was rubbish and the battery life could be better. But the ability of answering emails on a go, assessing files on a shared drive for attachment, scope rite-up and note taking far out-ways the cons. 

Over the years owned XBA-3 and later XBA-40 earbuds but kept the Z Ultra with all of them. Recently smashed the screen on the fablet over a server and left my headphones on a flight to London just a few weeks later. Bad string of luck.

Purchased Samsung S7 and Sony MDR-7550 earbuds. This combo left me a little bit disappointed. Lack of clarity, the highs are not clear or vivid with the base always on the top. Still braking in 7550's and one thing I love about them is comfort. Definitely keeping them for those mornings where nothing will do but extra base. 

I love almost every kind of music but find my self leaning more to classical + techno mix. Regularly mix up between instrumental tracks, vocals and dance. 10 hours of techno does get annoying and base tires me out. 

Used Sony fablet in clear+ mostly and cranked up the base to max for the movies. 

Z ultra is discontinued and the current Chinese re-manufactured version I received keeps crashing and the camera died in a first month. 

Now for the question:

To replace/updrade XBA-40's Would I be better off getting XBA-A3's, or Sennheiser IE80 Headphones (IE800 are a bit much for a travel set). There is also Shure SE535‎. Looking for crispness and detail.

Would like to stay under $500 since the current setup burned through most of my tech fund. 

Does anyone know if Sony Z3 8" tablet is a better chose for audio replication then Samsung S7? Missing the larger screen but also need my device to be water proof. Used my Z Ultra on water rafting trips and NAV system while hiking in the rain forest. It is a tech version of a Swiss army knife. I miss it o so much. S7 is a very good android phone but I am not in love, it is nothing special. 

Sony Xperia - roams silicon valley weekdays and on the weekends plays in the mud. Holding my fingers crossed for Z6 Ultra 6.5"screen, it would just be a perfect size for a mini tablet. 

Mar 30, 2017 at 5:50 AM Post #3 of 4
I found a friend !!!! I had XBA-3 (now my backup) then XBA-40 which are now dead, the jack stopped working  :frowning2:. I Toyed with the idea of importing another pair but I went with a pair of 2nd hand of xba-300 that I bought on this very forum. The Xba-300 are at least as crisp if not more than the xba-40, and have a detachable cable. What they do miss is the sub bass that the extra driver brings to the xba-40, but they are more neutral.

Other brands that do pure BA's are Weston, Final Audio, Audiotechnica and there's more, but as I could not try them I went for the sure bet and bought Sony again.

Note that the XBA-3, 40 and 300 have their impedance increasing a LOT with the frequency and really gain mids and highs with a low impedance amplificator, like the FiiO E11K. They scale pretty well with a DAP as well, my X5 3rd gen gave them a new life.

Apr 1, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #4 of 4
  I found a friend !!!! I had XBA-3 (now my backup) then XBA-40 which are now dead, the jack stopped working  :frowning2:. I Toyed with the idea of importing another pair but I went with a pair of 2nd hand of xba-300 that I bought on this very forum. The Xba-300 are at least as crisp if not more than the xba-40, and have a detachable cable. What they do miss is the sub bass that the extra driver brings to the xba-40, but they are more neutral.

Other brands that do pure BA's are Weston, Final Audio, Audiotechnica and there's more, but as I could not try them I went for the sure bet and bought Sony again.

Note that the XBA-3, 40 and 300 have their impedance increasing a LOT with the frequency and really gain mids and highs with a low impedance amplificator, like the FiiO E11K. They scale pretty well with a DAP as well, my X5 3rd gen gave them a new life.

I agree, the XBA 300 sounds more balance to me and have more sparkle in the treb, however, I love both of them :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back