Replacing my Audigy2 ZS, which of these should I get?
Feb 20, 2008 at 12:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

sonicm

100+ Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fiers
I was thinking about replacing my pretty crappy Audigy 2ZS with something a bit more up to audiophile standards, so with my ~$150 budget I just about narrowed down my choices to three;
-Headroom Bithead amp/dac combo
-E-MU 0404 USB
-ESI Juli@

So I'd like to ask you guy for your input. I'm not so sure where to go from here, but I've been thinking that the ESI Juli@ is the best choice. I've heard that it's about better than or equal to the E-MU 0404, but cheaper, and I'd assume it's better than the Bithead because unlike the Bithead it was made with only quality in mind rather than size too.
Bear in mind, though, that I currently have no external amps or DACs, so in that respect the Bithead seems like it might be the better choice.
So advice, anyone?

Feb 20, 2008 at 6:40 AM Post #2 of 5
Between these three and based on what I've read, I only seriously considered the 0404 and never considered the Bithead worth its price. But somehow I never got around to reading about the ESI Juli@. So I really couldn't say which might work better for you. I'm sure others here will be more help.

However, I will add that I bought a USB DAC/amp combo on eBay the other day from hotaudio40. I'm still waiting for it. In case you or anyone's interested, there's still a few being auctioned at its low introductory price. Here's a link to one of the listings where its now being called the HotUSB1.

Feb 20, 2008 at 11:18 AM Post #3 of 5
Please let us know what you think of hotaudio40s little DAC, I am undecided between that, the SuperPro 707 and maybe the GoVibe petite at the moment, made a post asking for impressions today. I think I´m leaning towards the SuperPro 707 tho, the specs on the PCM2707 used by hotaudio are not that impressive. However, for a price of €61 its very tempting.

Feb 20, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Screamager /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please let us know what you think of hotaudio40s little DAC, I am undecided between that, the SuperPro 707 and maybe the GoVibe petite at the moment, made a post asking for impressions today. I think I´m leaning towards the SuperPro 707 tho, the specs on the PCM2707 used by hotaudio are not that impressive. However, for a price of €61 its very tempting.

Sure, I'm looking forward to posting my impressions of the HotUSB1 with my HD580. Its current low price and my need for a DAC/amp is what made it an easy choice for me. I'll take you word on the specs for the PCM2707, as I really don't know how it compares to similar products. But I have come to learn that specs don't always translate into better or worse, and I prefer basing my purchasing decisions primarily on the reviews posted by other Head-Fi'ers. The GoVibe Petite seems to be getting good reviews and has since peaked my interest. And this is the first I've heard of the SuperPro 707. I think I've been reading too many posts about the EMU 0404 to look around and see what else is out there.

Feb 23, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Screamager /img/forum/go_quote.gif

For what it's worth, he's built a pcm2704, and 2705, and has plans to build a 2702 with op amp buffer. You can email him if you have questions. I have both the usb dac and opa2134 amp and love them both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back