Replacing my AKG K 240 Studios, need recommendations
Jul 19, 2013 at 12:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

DivineCurrent

500+ Head-Fier
Hi, I just joined the Head-Fi community since you guys obviously know a lot about headphones. I need some recommendations on getting the right headphones for my taste. I own the AKG K 240 Studios, which have served me for three years and while the sound is still going strong, daily listening has worn them out physically quite a bit. Before I go and get a replacement, or get the K 240 mk ii's, (which are pretty much the same but have more accesories and coiled cable), I want some more possible replacement recommendations.

If you've ever listened to the K 240s (at least the new ones), they have a nice warm sound, with a great balance between the bass and mids, and the highs are not harsh but are nicely blended in the texture. I bought a pair of AKG K 271s, but I sent them back because of their lack of bass, and while they have impressive highs, the mid is too much. I also own the Audio Technica ATH-M50s, and while their balance is amazing, it sounds like the highs are rolled-off, which is not very good sounding. I guess what I'm looking for is the warm sound and bass of the 240s, highs that are not harsh sounding like the 271s, and mids that are not overpowering but balanced. And yes, I have tried equalizing the sound, but I don't want to have to adjust for every song to sound good. As a side note, I listen to music mostly on my computer and IPod. My budget is preferably under 200$ (I could get a more expensive headphone used for that price). I have done some research and some possible choices are the Sennheiser HD 598 or 380, Beyerdynamic DT 770, Audio Technica ATH-AD700 or 900, or possibly the Shure SRH840s. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Jul 19, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #3 of 7
I've actually never used an amp with the K 240s, they're only 55 ohms and sound plenty loud enough on my computer and even on my IPod. But if I do get something like a Sennheiser, I will probably use a FiiO E6 (or maybe an E11). I'm not too familiar with amping stuff, I only used old amps that my dad has with his 600 ohm 240s. 

Jul 19, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #4 of 7
Audio Technica ATH-AD900X (38-Ohm) open headphones, $200
Your iPod should be able to drive them at least decently.

Maybe add an Asus Xonar DG sound card, to your computer, $30 and there is a $10 mail in rebate.

Jul 19, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
I've actually never used an amp with the K 240s, they're only 55 ohms and sound plenty loud enough on my computer and even on my IPod. But if I do get something like a Sennheiser, I will probably use a FiiO E6 (or maybe an E11). I'm not too familiar with amping stuff, I only used old amps that my dad has with his 600 ohm 240s. 

The K 240 Studio is not at its best unamped.  Just because a headphone produces a loud volume does not mean that it is properly amped.  The 240 scales up with better amps--at least to a point.  This is somewhat rare for a sub $100 (street) can.

Jul 19, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #6 of 7
Yeah, I should try the headphones I have with an amp before settling on buying a new one. The AD900x looks very good, but I'm a little worried about reviews saying the bass is a little weak. I'm not a Beats bass fanatic, but I don't want weak bass. Also, as stated before, another thing I'm looking for is highs that are not harsh. So, I guess unless I do some listening tests, I really won't know for sure exactly what I want.

Jul 23, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #7 of 7
Ok, I tried the FiiO E11 amp with my K240 mkii's I just bought. The only difference I hear with the amp is slightly more treble, but not enough to really notice unless your listening for it. Although, they work beautifully with my K240 600 ohms, much more clear and open sounding. The MKiis actually have better balance than the K240 Studios I've had for a while, so I'm very happy with the purchase. Maybe next time I'll try the AD900X's, or maybe the Q701s. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back