Replacing Mini^3 with RSA Mustang/Shadow?
Oct 12, 2009 at 1:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

kb1gra

100+ Head-Fier
So as my search for a portable amp continues, I'm stuck at the following place:

I've preordered the RSA Shadow, but the price tag is making me choke a little bit since I've never paid that much for a piece of audio equipment in my life. None of my headphones cost nearly that much.

I already have a Mini^3 that I built myself and like, but I can't help feeling like since it cost me $60 to build, there must be something that sounds "better" out there.

My usage is probably 70% desktop 30% portable, so not being portable isn't that big a deal, but I'd prefer it if possible. One of the big downsides to this is that most portable amps have inputs and outputs on the SAME face of the device, which means that to use it on my desk I have to turn the amp backwards or run a cable over the top of it to use the inputs, since the RCA out from my DAC is on the rear of that device. This is one of the reasons I chose the Shadow, it has inputs on OPPOSITE sides. Do any other portables offer this?

That said, though, is the Shadow/P51 going to be a big improvement over my Mini^3? Source is mostly FLAC files on my Macbook Pro through the Styleaudio Topaz, which would be relinquishing headphone amp duty in favor of the new toy. Headphones are ATH-M50, ATH-ES7, and Beyer DT990/250ohm.

They say that reading is spending money, but the more I read the less sure I am of what to buy, or if I should just stick with what I know and not bother "upgrading" from the Mini^3.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Oct 12, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #2 of 6
It looks like the in-development Pico Slim may have input/output on opposite ends. Expect it to be in same ballpark as the RSA Shadow price-wise; form factor a little different (slightly thinner but wider & longer). Of course, all this is unconfirmed, as the final product has not been shown and preorders not yet announced.

That doesn't help your dilemma much. Recommendation: Pick up at great savings one of the used P51s that will flood the FS board when Shadow is shipped, and just use it sideways on your desk.

Good luck!

Oct 12, 2009 at 7:02 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by kb1gra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So as my search for a portable amp continues, I'm stuck at the following place:

I've preordered the RSA Shadow, but the price tag is making me choke a little bit since I've never paid that much for a piece of audio equipment in my life. None of my headphones cost nearly that much.

I already have a Mini^3 that I built myself and like, but I can't help feeling like since it cost me $60 to build, there must be something that sounds "better" out there.

My usage is probably 70% desktop 30% portable, so not being portable isn't that big a deal, but I'd prefer it if possible. One of the big downsides to this is that most portable amps have inputs and outputs on the SAME face of the device, which means that to use it on my desk I have to turn the amp backwards or run a cable over the top of it to use the inputs, since the RCA out from my DAC is on the rear of that device. This is one of the reasons I chose the Shadow, it has inputs on OPPOSITE sides. Do any other portables offer this?

That said, though, is the Shadow/P51 going to be a big improvement over my Mini^3? Source is mostly FLAC files on my Macbook Pro through the Styleaudio Topaz, which would be relinquishing headphone amp duty in favor of the new toy. Headphones are ATH-M50, ATH-ES7, and Beyer DT990/250ohm.

They say that reading is spending money, but the more I read the less sure I am of what to buy, or if I should just stick with what I know and not bother "upgrading" from the Mini^3.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

If you like the sound of the Mini3 - keep it. There is no guarantee that $ = improvement.

Oct 12, 2009 at 7:05 AM Post #4 of 6
I am going to go out on a limb and try building a CKKIII. If I like it, I'll keep the mini for my small amount of portable use. If not, I'll sell it off and pick up a Mustang or go through with my Shadow preorder.

Everyone says the Mini is unbeatable at its price point, but that leads me to believe it would be far outclassed by something like a Shadow. Am I wrong about that?

Oct 12, 2009 at 8:09 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by kb1gra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am going to go out on a limb and try building a CKKIII. If I like it, I'll keep the mini for my small amount of portable use. If not, I'll sell it off and pick up a Mustang or go through with my Shadow preorder.

Everyone says the Mini is unbeatable at its price point, but that leads me to believe it would be far outclassed by something like a Shadow. Am I wrong about that?

IMHO, I think you are on the right track. portable amps trade off power and features for portability. The CKKIII has a very good reputation.

I haven't heard any of the amps ranked higher by Skylab in his comparison. However, in terms of how outclassed the Mini³ might be, it is worth considering Skylab's comments. I'm not sure there is all that much room to be far outclassed; remember, diminishing returns
smily_headphones1.gif

The Mini3 is a DIY amp, although it can be purchased complete from a number of sources. Vlad loaned me his completed Mini3 to review. His was nicely built into a small metal Hammond case. There were no features other than a batter charging circuit.

Build Quality: n/a: this will simply depend on how the amp’s builder decides to build it.
Treble: A-: Nice and smooth, and fairly neutral and transparent. Perhaps a bit soft, and lacking the very last bit of top end extension. Still very nice.
Midrange: A: Impressive performance in the mids. Open, inviting, and smooth. I was impressed. Female vocals like Kathleen Edwards and Goldfrapp were very well served by the Mini3’s midrange performance.
Bass: A-: Plenty of bass, but it was a little loose at times. Some of the better amps offer better bass control, and a little more definition. Still, this is only in comparison to the very best.
Neutrality: A-: It’s just a touch warm and rolled off on top from neutral. But it sure sounds pretty!
Soundstaging: B+: Soundstage depth was excellent. Image specificity was very good. Width was just good – soundstage width was not delivered in full measure by the Mini3.
Transparency: A-: Definitely an open, clear, generally clean, grain-free sound. Not the LAST word in resolution, but still very good.

The Mini3 can be bought for $125 completely built from Rockhopper audio. I understand MisterX may build them as well. For that price it represents an INCREDIBLE bargain. While I feel the Meier XXS offers better overall performance, even it costs $195. So the Mini3 is a VERY easy recommendation for someone wanting a very good, inexpensive amp.

Oct 12, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #6 of 6
I have heard/compared the Mini-3 w/ the P51 and IMO the P51 was the better sounding amp. Perhaps vorlon1 can chime in since he owns both of these two amps. I have not heard the Shadow so no comments on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back