Replacing Maxell DHP-II and ATH-M50
Dec 10, 2016 at 11:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

3DGrace

New Head-Fier
Picked up a pair of DHPs several years ago and was wow'd by the bang for the buck. They beat out my most recent M50 purchase for a fifth of the price. Comfortable, portable, solid sound signature and sound stage from what I recall. Tight punchy and not overpronounced bass with very clear highs. My DHPs, like most others', eventually broke due to the weak headband.

A couple years back I posted in a thread to see if anyone else found a pair of headphones that were similar to the DHPs but I got zero responses so I ultimately tried out the M50s for the last couple of years. The M50s were definitely solid but I felt were overpriced compared to the DHPs. The clamping force of the M50s was a bit too much for my taste even after breaking them in. Compared to my distant memory of the DHPs, the M50 bass was a bit too messy, the highs weren't as clear and the sound stage wasn't as separate. Also, I was not a fan of the heavy coiled cord on the M50 which made them not great for portability (not to mention they wouldn't fit into my Galaxy S5 headphone port with the case on).

So I have returned once again to see if someone can recommend something similar to the DHPs today.

1. I listen to a lot of hard rock and occasionally some hip hop and electronic music
2. Portability is a bonus
3. Over the ear and comfortable (especially with glasses) is a must
4. Straight cord is a must (not too long is a plus)
5. Under $100 preferred

If I think of anything to add, I'll edit it in.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back