Replacing M50's, any suggestions? ES7's?
Feb 10, 2010 at 3:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Wiimote007

Head-Fier
Well, I think my M50's are out of it for good, after the first time the cable broke, I got it fixed, only for it to break later. Then it broke once more, so I fixed it once more.

... Now it broke again, sound repeatedly ceases coming through the left speaker.

Anyway, I've become quite the audiotechnica fan, and I enjoyed the M50's sound immensely. But I need something on a slightly smaller scale, I use them while walking a bit and also in school and on the bus.

So. Should I get it fixed again, or, should I get the much-talked-about ES7's?

Any suggestions are welcome, but mainly looking for impressions about the ES7's and if they would be right for me.

I listen to orchestra, techno, rock, pop, and a bit of metal (not as much as the others!).
beyersmile.png

Feb 10, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #3 of 21
Ive had them for a little over a year, the first time was when the wire got caught on a latch, ripping the left wire out of the jack.

I got that repaired, also shortening the cord for my portable use. However, the guy didn;t use proper solder, so it broke 2 weeks later.

He admitted his mistake and fixed it again for me about 2 weeks ago, its cutting out again...

Feb 10, 2010 at 5:39 AM Post #4 of 21
I currently own both of those Audio Technica's. They sound a bit different. The M50 actually sounds more fefined to me, if you can believe that. I really like the ES7. They are really aggressive. Very forward and in your face presentation. They are really nicely detailed with a very good amount of thump. They are really good for rock as they are a really fun headphone.

Feb 10, 2010 at 7:07 AM Post #5 of 21
i suggest the shure srh440. they are a great competitor at around the same price range or lower and have replaceable cables >_>

Feb 11, 2010 at 6:28 AM Post #7 of 21
Are you sure you'll be comfortable with supraaural headphones? I've used the ES7 for several years now, and I love the sound. But I find the direct pressure on my ears to be just too uncomfortable. Obviously this doesn't bother everyone or there wouldn't be such a market for supraaural portables, but it's something to consider. I'm actually considering a switch to the m50, or the SRH840, since I don't really need a 'walking around' headphone, and I really think I should try something circumaural for comfort's sake.

I'd prolly trade ya if you hadn't broken your m50 so many times already.
tongue.gif

Feb 11, 2010 at 6:41 AM Post #8 of 21
It's working fine right now, no problems, Im just afraid it MIGHT break.

Lately there actually hasn't been any problems, after I posted this thread, I founf out it was just some hair in the headphone input on my ipod

Feb 11, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiimote007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those look nice, but they're wood right? Would there be anything I should know about taking care of those cans if I got them? All my past cans have been plastic.

I read a thread somewhere about taking care of them and ppl said there was nothing specific you would need to do.

Feb 11, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #13 of 21
I don't consider the ES7 a step down from the M50. But it is definitely a different animal altogether. They are far more aggressive and the bass hits much harder. They are a very fun headphone. If you listen to orchestral music, these are not so good. I do find they have a difficult time keeping instruments clean with orchestra. But other than that they are quite good. Very detailed and like I said very hard hitting.

Like someone else said though, they can get a little uncomfortable. The ear pads are just not good quality. I do believe the ESW9A pads fit them though. Might want to check on that. I have not modded mine.

Feb 11, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #14 of 21
I'm fond of the ES7 but can't keep them on for too long before they hurt. I also feel that I have to be careful with the cups because they are so darned shiny and easily scratched. I wish that they hadn't been finished with that mirror surface.

Ian

Feb 12, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #15 of 21
ESW9 are expensive, no? Assuming you're looking for something roughly the same price as the M50s? ($99 atm on ebay)

Have you considered getting some budget portables (like JVC S150 / Portapro or something?) and keeping the M50s too. IMHO, anything but an IEM can't give the best sound quality, because even closed back cans don't filter out that much sound, which means music sounds worse. YMMW of course.

That said I take my M50s out occasionally and they always sound pretty great.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back