Replacing loose screws on Hammond Enclosure
Jun 20, 2005 at 1:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

StevieDvd

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm sure I'm not the only one who has ended up with Hammond cases with loose screw syndrome.

So what screws did you use to fix it (or did you use some other cunning method)?

If you can recommend some good looking fix such as hex bolt heads etc it would be appreciated. Even more appreciated if any UK'er can point out a supplier
biggrin.gif

Thanks

Jun 20, 2005 at 1:28 PM Post #2 of 9
If you mean the threads are stripped I fixed this problem by filling the hole with JB Weld (an epoxy) and drilling and tapping the hole.

Jun 20, 2005 at 7:18 PM Post #3 of 9
Longer screws help. Slightly wider screws would as well. Also some of the cases come with plastic pins to hold the case together in shipping. These hold the case together fine, espcially if your going to take it apart regularly.

Jun 21, 2005 at 11:41 AM Post #4 of 9
Thanks,

It's the frequent opening/closing that's created the problem. The epoxy glue sounds a bit tacky and if I sell the amp it would look tacky.

I may just buy a new case if I can't find some sexier looking screws.

Steve

Jun 21, 2005 at 12:12 PM Post #5 of 9
Stevie, I have the same problem. I presume it's the wee case which we've used for the WNA head-amps you're talking about? Some of mine have been slack/stripped from the first removal so I'm not convinced that it's constant removal that's really the problem. I've been meaning to try a few things but haven't got round to it yet:

1. Dribbling a small amount of epoxy resin into the screw hole to give the screws something to bite.
2. Pinching the channel with pliers to distort it enought to give the screws something to bite.
3. Try some stainless/chrome self-tappers of a slightly different size.

I must try something ...

Jun 21, 2005 at 1:02 PM Post #6 of 9
Dear Stevie, It's possible to repair the stripped threads of your Hammond Enclosure and while the repair involves some skilled work, after the repair you'll be able to open and close the case many times without any further problem. Two products to look at are: "HeliCoil" and "Timesert" These are threaded inserts, usually made of steel or stainless steel which can be inserted into your Hammond Enclosure to provide a Wonderful long term repair. Cordially, Richard... e-mail: rslifka007@aol.com if you need additional information...

Jun 21, 2005 at 5:05 PM Post #7 of 9
I have the same problem with mine. I think I may just order a shorter case anyway though since I now use a 12V DC adaptor(soon to be an 18-24V regulated PSU hopefully) and don't need the space for my 2 9V batteries.

Jun 21, 2005 at 5:14 PM Post #8 of 9
I've drilled and tapped several Hammonds for #6-32 machine screws, and while it works fine, I wouldn't say that it will truly solve your frequent opening and closing problem. Bottom line, aluminum is not a good material for standing up to such stresses. The threaded inserts idea sounds like a much better plan.

Jun 21, 2005 at 6:41 PM Post #9 of 9
Hi Steve,

I've got eight of the plastic snap in plugs which hold the end panels on very securely.... ideal if you're constanly on and off with the panels. I'll send them to you if they're of any use to you.

Mike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back