Replacing IEMs, with a twist?
Jul 22, 2009 at 5:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Shike

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey everyone,

I was originally planning on upgrading my earphones a while back but as usual stuff came up. My Super.Fi 3's gave up the fight today when the cable attachment came unglued and caused heavy damage. This has led me to an interesting situation though. I'm able to get any of these at said reduced prices:

Super.Fi 4: $65

Super.Fi 5: $85

UE 700: $115

Triple.Fi 10: $200

Or I can get:

Used Super.Fi 3: $55

Which one of these should I consider most, or are there IEMs you'd recommend from other companies at similar prices? I'd appreciate your thoughts!
wink.gif

BTW: These will be used rather roughly and only with my Zune on the go really. I don't plan on amping any of them. Thanks again.

Jul 22, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #2 of 6
Well this is easy - if you can afford the Triple Fi's, there is no reason to look at the others (IMO).
From my limited listen (~30min on the tripFi) they are far and away better than the SuperFi 5's.
(never heard the 3's or the UE700's, but I am going to assume, just based on price that they are comperable/inferior to the superFi5's)

I also have to throw in a plug for my two favorite IEMs as both are in this price range.

Westone UM2 ($160ish used usually) - love the mids on these, also, very I found the bass quite pleasing. IMO - comperable to the tripleFi even tho they only have 2 drivers.

Audeo/Phonak PFE ($100 used, $120 new) - This is the only set of IEMs I listen to other than my ES3X's. Great smooth sound with just enough detail. Sound very balanced across freq. range to my ears. My only very minor complaint is that unamped or unequalized, the mids aren't as prominent as the UM2's. However, they respond really well to equalization and/or amping. I actually ditched my UM2's for these because they sound so good with my Cowon i7.

hope this helps!

[Sales pitch]
If you decide to go for the superFi 4's or 5's, shoot me a PM. I have a set of each up for sale and can beat the prices listed above
smily_headphones1.gif
Both lightly used, 4vi's are basically new. I put less than an hour on them!
[/Sales pitch]

Jul 22, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #3 of 6
If you have the money, get the best possible. I have only heard AL UHP336 (rebranded Super.Fi 3), and they are not that great. I can only assume the triple fi would be better.

That being said, if you want to get the 3, get the rebranded Altec Lansing mentioned about for $36 shipped. I think they are still doing that.

-Nkk

Jul 22, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by nkk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have the money, get the best possible. I have only heard AL UHP336 (rebranded Super.Fi 3), and they are not that great. I can only assume the triple fi would be better.

That being said, if you want to get the 3, get the rebranded Altec Lansing mentioned about for $36 shipped. I think they are still doing that.

-Nkk

The Lansings are $40 shipped now (amazon) and really aren't very good. There are better choices even at that price.

That said, I would certainly go for the triples if you can afford 'em. That way you'll minimize the amount of times you'll end up saying "what if..."

Jul 23, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #5 of 6
I decided on the Altec Lansings. I figured with how rough I am with IEMs on the go, possibility of accidents etc, it just wasn't wise spending more. At least for now.

As for those saying there's better for less or that they (Super.Fi 3) aren't that good did you try them with Comply tips? I never found anything severely deficient with them accept an unlikable low impedance . . . that is as long as I was using Comply. Silicon just doesn't seal for love nor money.

I don't think I would have spotted them without the mention though, so I saved a bit more cash. Thanks guys!
wink.gif

Jul 23, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #6 of 6
For me, the TF10 is the best IEM I have heard period. Then again, I haven't heard every top end IEM, only four of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back