Replacing HP plug question
Mar 7, 2008 at 4:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

omega52

Head-Fier
I have some Neutrik plugs & want to replace some of my headphone plugs. I am not committed,at this time, to re-cabling them although I have plenty of Starquad I don't want to attempt disassembly of the Alessandros. My question is about the wires used on my various phones, so if someone has experience with them, please respond. My specific concern is with the ease of working with the wires. I am a competent solderer, but I would like to know before I cut off the molded plug, do they use the varnished wire that requires removal of the varnish or a more robust stranded conductor that will solder right up? If they use the varnished stranded conductor, is there a preferred way to remove the varnish that does not involve scraping the wires. I find that this weakens/flattens the wire & if I can apply a solvent to do the trick I would prefer to do that. The phones going under the knife are:
Alessandro MS1(OK did this one too. 4 nice insulated stranded wires. No silk or enamel, just wire. The main sheath is very heat sensitive though.)
Shure E4c (Did this one. It had about everything except enameled wire. Flat wire spiral wrapped around silk & stranded wire on signal wires, Stranded & then some tiny tightly twisted wire for Gnd. Took about 12" off length.)
Sennheiser PX100
Maybe iGrado

Thanks
kev

Users who are viewing this thread

Back