Replacing glacier ?
Jun 25, 2013 at 4:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

John0405

100+ Head-Fier
Hello
I'm currently using the glacier with a clas-r, paired with ciem miracle. The sound is quite detailed and spacious, but sometimes a bit bright to my taste and lacking in bass ...
What amp should I take to get more bass ?
Would replacing the glacier for an rsa shadow ( for example) be a downgrade ?
Should I go balanced to get the kind of sound signature I'm looking for...?

If someone could help, I'll appreciate it.

Jun 29, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #3 of 9
Depends on if you are looking for an all in one solution or just an amp. You would be hard pressed to find a better amp than the portaphile 627. For an all in one the Leckerton UHA 6S MKII is hard to beat for the price. I have ordered the head amp pico dac/amp and will post my thoughts after receiving it if you would like.

Jun 29, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #4 of 9
Depends on if you are looking for an all in one solution or just an amp. You would be hard pressed to find a better amp than the portaphile 627. For an all in one the Leckerton UHA 6S MKII is hard to beat for the price. I have ordered the head amp pico dac/amp and will post my thoughts after receiving it if you would like.

Thx. Yes.. I'd be interested in your opinions.
The thing is, the apex glacier paired with the clas seems to be like a scalpel, precise, chirurgical. Technically good but not on my kind...
How about the sound signature of the portaphile? I heard its battery life wasn't stellar...

Jun 29, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #7 of 9
Easy answer! Get this monster. A Alo audio continental V2 or V3. Note V1 doesn't do iem's and V3 is a little brighter then V2.  It has a very natural tube like tone. This is a dark amp with a perfect black background. And it can power any full size headphone like sennheiser hd 800, audeze lcd 3 etc except the hifiman he 6.
kiji_the_continental_combo.jpg

Jun 29, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #8 of 9
The RSA predator is also a very good choice.  But requires 400-600 hours to be at it's best. The predator should be also another choice you should look into. And I would not reccomend the shadow I believe that would be a down grade.  RSA predator (at it's best) and Alo continental would be a side grade or a upgrade for those who are biased to a warmer darker lively signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back