Replacing E2C's: Which IEM has the most durable cord?
Mar 8, 2006 at 5:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

luc0

New Head-Fier
Hi, first post here.

I bought the Shure E2C's last fall and the cord has really been beaten up since then. I've had to do multiple applications of liquid electric tape (nasty stuff), but unfortunately I don't see them lasting much longer. Anyone else had a problem with the cord cracking after it splits into Left/Right? It seems to me the thick wires of the Shures, while thicker, aren't as flexible. I beleive the cuts in the cord happen when the cord is bent too sharply, which can happen as I move my neck around.

So I'm looking for IEM's with as good or better sound quality as the Shure E2C's, but with a cord that can take a pretty harsh beating. My price range is $90-$130 USD give or take.

So I guess my obvious choices are: Etymotic ER-6i or UE Super.fi 3 pro or Shure E3C's.

I guess you're supposed to baby most IEM's because these Shures, as great as they sound, haven't lasted me nearly as long as I'd hoped.

Thanks guys.

Mar 8, 2006 at 5:22 AM Post #4 of 7
Those choices will likely break the first day judging my your abuse! lol

The shures definitely have the most durable cords. The only reason you may want to consider the Super.fi's is because the cords are replaceable.

Mar 8, 2006 at 5:23 AM Post #5 of 7
User replacable or do you have to send them back to manufacturer?

You guys are great really fast replies!!
biggrin.gif

Mar 8, 2006 at 5:25 AM Post #6 of 7
The Shure e5 has the most robust cord that I have seen. Mine lasted 18 months of hell before cracking, then Shure replaced the whole phone under warranty. Cords seem to be the universal weakpoint of all IEM's.

Mar 8, 2006 at 5:35 AM Post #7 of 7
Ya the twisted cables of the E5C's definately seem very tough, just way way way out of my budget. I want to hear more about the Super.fi's replacable cable, because this would certainly solve my problem wouldn't it.

I'll also call Shure customer service tommorow see about warranty.

Any comments on sound quality for E2C vs. Super.fi 3? I found the E2c's to be quite satisfying, but I noticed the Super.fi 3's have the balanced armature drivers like the higher end models have. These will be connected directly to source btw, no amp.

Thanks again everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back