Replacing Discontinued Shure SE530 IEM's
Mar 1, 2019 at 4:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

JasonCA

New Head-Fier
In 2007 I purchased the Shure E3c IEM's. Loved them! I accidentally broke them and so decided on something a bit better.

Faithful to this new love, in 2010 I purchased the Shure SE530 as my replacement to the Shure E3c's. To this day, I still use the Shure SE530's and really have loved and enjoy these IEM's. Unfortunately, the audio cables running to the IEM's are now sensitive to the touch and are non-replaceable. They still sound fantastic, but I get static droops when the cable is heavily touched. But they still are usable in the short term.

Today, the Shure SE530's are discontinued and the cable's on the Shure SE530's are permanently attached to the IEM's. The recommend replacement is the Shure SE535's. However, I'm a bit hesitant to simply pay $500 for the SE535's to replace what I in a lot of ways already have except for the additional MMCX connector which would allow me to replace the audio cables when needed.

If I'm to take the plunge to replace my aging Shure SE530's that I love, what would the next new replacement to the now discontinued Shure SE530's IEM's? It's simply something I'm debating as the IEM field has become a bit more crowded in 2019 then it was back in 2010. Reading through the forums, I'm just overwhelmed with the choices.

If I am going to spend the money, I may as well get something that is a bit beyond in what I have. In staying around the $500 to $1000, naturally I've been eyeing the Shure SE846 as a possible replacement?

For a ceiling price of about $1000, are there any IEM's I should take a look at that would be as good as the Shure SE846 but maybe half the price or would be even better for the $$$? I really like the comfort of the Shure's and it's why I'm also considering sticking with them. Although the Shure SE846 has been around for some time now (I think roughly since 2013?), it seems to be well engineering and still a quality set of IEM's despite all the contenders out there from what I read.

Also, it would be great to know if there is anyway I can fix my cables running to the Shure SE530's? Any tips on this?

Any input or suggestions would be great! :ksc75smile:

Mar 1, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #2 of 6
In 2007 I purchased the Shure E3c IEM's. Loved them! I accidentally broke them and so decided on something a bit better.

Faithful to this new love, in 2010 I purchased the Shure SE530 as my replacement to the Shure E3c's. To this day, I still use the Shure SE530's and really have loved and enjoy these IEM's. Unfortunately, the audio cables running to the IEM's are now sensitive to the touch and are non-replaceable. They still sound fantastic, but I get static droops when the cable is heavily touched. But they still are usable in the short term.

Today, the Shure SE530's are discontinued and the cable's on the Shure SE530's are permanently attached to the IEM's. The recommend replacement is the Shure SE535's. However, I'm a bit hesitant to simply pay $500 for the SE535's to replace what I in a lot of ways already have except for the additional MMCX connector which would allow me to replace the audio cables when needed.

If I'm to take the plunge to replace my aging Shure SE530's that I love, what would the next new replacement to the now discontinued Shure SE530's IEM's? It's simply something I'm debating as the IEM field has become a bit more crowded in 2019 then it was back in 2010. Reading through the forums, I'm just overwhelmed with the choices.

If I am going to spend the money, I may as well get something that is a bit beyond in what I have. In staying around the $500 to $1000, naturally I've been eyeing the Shure SE846 as a possible replacement?

For a ceiling price of about $1000, are there any IEM's I should take a look at that would be as good as the Shure SE846 but maybe half the price or would be even better for the $$$? I really like the comfort of the Shure's and it's why I'm also considering sticking with them. Although the Shure SE846 has been around for some time now (I think roughly since 2013?), it seems to be well engineering and still a quality set of IEM's despite all the contenders out there from what I read.

Also, it would be great to know if there is anyway I can fix my cables running to the Shure SE530's? Any tips on this?

Any input or suggestions would be great! :ksc75smile:

The BGVP DM6 is highly rated right now and at its price of $200 usd. They sat on the throne for the longest time of BGGAR on youtube and they have just been recently dethroned by the Fearless Audio S6. The Moondrop Kanas Pro is also highly rated .

Yes your SE530 can be recabled, or made into removable cable design but I have yet to see one well done because it eliminates the rubber strain relief piece on the IEM and it looks weird. You should inquire BTG Audio for rewiring service.

Mar 1, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #3 of 6
The Shure SE846 sounds like garbage for its price. You'll get better sound out of a BGVP DM6 as mentioned or a qdc Neptune. The DM6 has peaky treble. The Neptune is smoother, but more rolled off in the treble. Both have better clarity than the SE846 and can be had for around $200. If you want to spend more, I recommend the Campfire Andromeda or Sony IER-M9. One thing I noticed about people who highly praise the SE846 is that they've heard nothing other than the lower tier Shure IEMs which are pretty terrible.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #4 of 6
agreed. I went from the 846, to the noble k10, to the legend x and now to the Solaris, 846 was definitely good for a time but there are so many more places that have amazing performing sub $1000 IEM's, outperforming the 846 by a pretty big leap.

I've never tried, but I think all of custom arts IEM's are below 1000, even if you get it custom. 846 had exceptional noise isolation so a custom IEM would definitely match it there.

campfire audio can be a good choice if you're willing to stretch a bit past 1000. or try to find another used.

others can be recommend by other, more experienced people. :)

Mar 1, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #5 of 6
agreed. I went from the 846, to the noble k10, to the legend x and now to the Solaris, 846 was definitely good for a time but there are so many more places that have amazing performing sub $1000 IEM's, outperforming the 846 by a pretty big leap.

I've never tried, but I think all of custom arts IEM's are below 1000, even if you get it custom. 846 had exceptional noise isolation so a custom IEM would definitely match it there.

campfire audio can be a good choice if you're willing to stretch a bit past 1000. or try to find another used.

others can be recommend by other, more experienced people. :)

Custom Arts can also be ordered universal if you don't want the hassle of customs. Either select it at ordering or mention it in notes that you would like universal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back