Replacing DAC/AMP PSU with generic? help needed
Jan 4, 2018 at 9:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

davebruno

New Head-Fier
Hi all, something appears to have chewed through my soundblaster x7 PSU wire, I was using it and it just turned off and when I looked this had happened
G60R4

Really unfortunate but anyway I contacted creative support to try and buy the upgraded version of the adapter since you can buy a higher power one and I had been thinking of upgrading anyway as it's supposed to improve audio quality. Turns out they've discontinued it and told me to look on eBay, really helpful after waiting for a response to be told they can't help me even though they still sell the limited edition version and thefor still have the adapter (comes with it).

eBay UK, Amazon UK and everything I've tried doesn't stock it, there is one from USA but it's going to cost me double the value in postage and I imagine a long wait, can anyone suggest if I can find a generic power adapter? I can see the specs here: https://uk.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-x7-power-adapter-upgrade-kit
But I don't know what to search for to find something that matches and won't break my product, the one they sell was expensive like £50 or something so I can't imagine I can just buy a generic laptop charger with the same spec can I? As they are a lot cheaper, also how do I tell if the end is going to be the right fit?

Thanks for any help, I'm really gutted that I'm in this situation and creative don't have any contact by phone and email response is slow and unhelpful so I hope someone here can help.

Cheers,

Dave

Jan 4, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #2 of 7
Well it says it's a "24V 6A power adapter", so any generic 24V, 6A power supply should work provided the plug isn't proprietary. If you still have yours, you can compare the plugs to a generic one and if its the same, well then it'll work.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #3 of 7
Well it says it's a "24V 6A power adapter", so any generic 24V, 6A power supply should work provided the plug isn't proprietary. If you still have yours, you can compare the plugs to a generic one and if its the same, well then it'll work.
Cool that's good to know, so any 24v 6a or will cheap ones cause any buzzing or interference damage etc? It has a wattage mentioned on there aswell like 68.89 or something very specific does that matter or will it just draw what it needs?

Jan 4, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #4 of 7
Would this work? https://www.amazon.co.uk/MINGER-Ada...515076936&sr=8-1&keywords=24v+6a+power+supply

Says its for lighting LED's but right Amp and Volatge, is there any other spec I should be careful with i.e the end of the wire? Pretty sure its generic but do they come in different sizes? not sure where this is specififed though?

I see the below on the official one:
  • Stand-by Consumption: <0.5W
  • Over Current Protection: ≤10A
Do these matter?

Thanks

Jan 4, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #5 of 7
Cool that's good to know, so any 24v 6a or will cheap ones cause any buzzing or interference damage etc?

Well power supplies generally have standards, so long as your not buying some random power supply from China with no safety standards, then it isn't an issue.

It has a wattage mentioned on there aswell like 68.89 or something very specific does that matter or will it just draw what it needs?

I didn't see where it mentioned that but it'll just draw what it needs, provided enough voltage and current is there. A 24 V, 6 A power supply has a theoretical maximum of 144 W, which is plenty if the DAC/Amp only needs ~69 W.

• Stand-by Consumption: <0.5W
  • Over Current Protection: ≤10A
Do these matter?

- That's just how much power the power supply is drawing per hour when unused I'd assume.
- Yeah it's for safety. Used in case of short circuit. Like I said above, so long as it's compliant with standard safety regulation, it's fine.

Jan 4, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #6 of 7
Well power supplies generally have standards, so long as your not buying some random power supply from China with no safety standards, then it isn't an issue.

They all appear to be from China or atleast have some reviews suggesting they dont reach full power or get too hot under full load..

Is there a reputable brand that make universal ones?

Jan 4, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #7 of 7
They all appear to be from China or atleast have some reviews suggesting they dont reach full power or get too hot under full load..

Is there a reputable brand that make universal ones?

They're mostly going to be made in China anyways, I'm just saying not to buy a random no name one. So long as it's complicit with regulations and standards its fine.

http://uk.farnell.com/ideal-power/15dys6150-2400625p/adaptor-ac-dc-24v-6-25a/dp/2771482

This one would probably work. I would go into the spec sheet and double check if it's the plug is the right size though.

Spec sheet: http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/2327371.pdf

However, it is the same price as the one Creative offers, so you might as well get theirs if you don't want to buy some random Chinese one. I'm not sure where else you could source a AC/DC adapter locally (for you) apart from maybe your local hardware store?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back