Replacing broken Yuin OK3's, earbuds or something else?
Oct 13, 2009 at 6:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ben7337

100+ Head-Fier
Okay, so today the right earbud on my OK3's went, well actually the cable went down by the plug, but the right earbud goes in and out a lot. I luckily have Yuin G2A's to use as back-ups, but really I don't view them as a good permanent solution as They flap in the wind, meaning they sound like **** when outdoors walking which is my biggest place for using them, between classes. They also hurt if I wear them for more than an hour or 2. So my original pair of OK3's were bought over a year ago, and this was my 3rd pair I think, for me no matter what the earbud they break in 3-5 months, and pretty much always the right earbud dying due to the cabling. Since new OK3's would be $60, and the cold Vermont weather here freezes ears, I was thinking maybe I should look into real full heaphones that can cover my ears. However if the cable will go bad in a few months the way the Yuins do for me, I'd like the headphones recommended to either have a good warranty for at least 1-2 yrs depending on cost, or not be prone to that issue. Also if anyone knows of a way to make earbuds last longer, please let me know, I hate how I build up tons of earbuds with good drivers, but the cables go bad, and people always tell me it'd cost more than the headphones to just have them recabled. So what would you recommend to someone looking for headphones under $100 who wants them to be comfortable and the best possible quality? A full can headphone, or replacing the OK3's? I am not looking at iem's as i hate them, and not looking at any earbuds aside from the OK3's. the only thing that would bump me over the $60 for the OK3's is a good can that is better and will actually last. Also, I doubt this is the case, but if the OK3's warranty restarts each time they are replaced that would be nice, I am assuming this is not the case as Fang would never make money in the long run that way, but if it is I wouldn't mind knowing that. Thanks.

tl; dr version

I am wondering if I should replace my OK3's that broke with new ones that will inevitably break every 3-5 months, or get a full can headphone for $100 or less. Cans must have a good warranty or not be prone to breaking, looking stylish would also be a plus as I will probably just hang them on my neck to help not wear out the cable.

Also wasn't sure if this would be good in the full cans of portable headphones forum, but put it in here because I am looking for headphones on the go, if a mod thinks this would be better in the full cans forum though please switch it. thanks.

EDIT: Forgot to say, these need to be able to be driven by a portable player, not a portable amp or decent sound system. Specifically the Ipod Touch 2nd gen.

Oct 13, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #2 of 3
well if you buy a decent earphone IEM from earphone solutions most of the makers offer a 2 year warranty with the solutions invoice. read that on most of there popular items. that would give you a additional 1-2 years on anything. that would give you a good setup. you mail the invoice to the brand, so mail it to Westone, or whatever.

Like the Westone 1's at earphone solutions are $139 and with there invoice saying it's from them, you get an addition 2 yr warranty. that would cover you.

but if Anything you buy breaks that fast, maybe you need to be more careful. (No offense)

Oct 13, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by xguntherc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well if you buy a decent earphone IEM from earphone solutions most of the makers offer a 2 year warranty with the solutions invoice. read that on most of there popular items. that would give you a additional 1-2 years on anything. that would give you a good setup. you mail the invoice to the brand, so mail it to Westone, or whatever.

Like the Westone 1's at earphone solutions are $139 and with there invoice saying it's from them, you get an addition 2 yr warranty. that would cover you.

but if Anything you buy breaks that fast, maybe you need to be more careful. (No offense)

Thanks for the info, though I said I am not looking for IEM's and nothing over $100, not sure if that was a reccomendation or if all headphones by all companies you know of seem to have 2 year warranties minimum. Also I take extremely good care of my things, unlike most people i know whose phones last 1 yr max and who can't keep their PMP's going more than a yr or 2, I have never had a dap or cell phone break on my, even my ancient 2004 nokia phone and my old ipod nano 2nd gen still work just fine and the nano doesn't even have any scratches or what not because it is always in a case and has a screen protector. However for some reason, earbuds always break on me, the sony mdr 828's the yui pk3's and the yuin ok3's. I think the only headphones that lasted 5+ months for me were the sennheiser $20 earbuds I had and the ipod earbuds that suck so bad I honestly don't how I was able to torture myself for so long before finally giving in and buying the ok3's, since it was the time between them and my pk3's. Also if you read my post you'd see I asked what methods are recommended to make earbuds last longer, I rarely have the drivers go, but the cables go fast. I don't do anything rough though, I do what everyone else does, I wrap my headphones around my player when not in use, that's about it, aside from that the cable is either reaching from the player to my ear, or temporarily unplugged. Also I always make sure to be gentle with making the cable wrap around whatever dap I have so that there isn't excessive strain on the point where the plug and cable are attached. Is there some magical thing that you do that is so much more gentle than this? do you spend a few minutes each time you take your headphones out putting them in one of those wind up sony cases or something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back