Replacing broken Westone UM Pro30's with new UM Pro30 ($299.99) or go for 1964ears/64audio Adel U3 ($499.99)?
Oct 10, 2015 at 11:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

defsquad

Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm in a huge dilemma here.

TL;DR: 
Westone UM Pro30 at a Westone-provided discount for $299.99, 1964ears U3 at $499.99? (seriously stretching the budget at $499.99 to get that ADEL tech). I've also already spent a little extra on a new cable for the UM Pro30 that broke (the cable with the microphone and volume control, etc -- got them a month before the 30's died)

I purchased a used pair of Westone UM Pro30's here on the forums, and have LOVED them (my first really good "audiophile" pair of IEMs -- or headphones in general). Really happy with its sound signature (granted, I've never heard above a 3 driver IEM).

I listen mostly to Christian hiphop and rock, some downtempo/triphop and jazz, and finally, a little glitch/IDM.

Some artists in each of those categories, in case that helps with sound signature pairings:
Hiphop: Eshon Burgundy, Propaganda, Andy Mineo, Trip Lee, KB, Derek Minor, Social Club, Corey Paul, Braille, Beautiful Eulogy, Serge, Bizzle
Rock: Wolves at the Gate, Haste the Day, Project 86, Demon Hunter, For Today, Oh Sleeper, Wovenwar
Other: Thievery Corporation, Massive Attack, Kruder & Dorfmeister, Portishead, DJ Krush, DJ Shadow, Ratatat, Ronald Jenkins, Glitch Mob, and finally, will just any jazz for dat soothing feels.

Westone support obviously can't repair them under warranty, but has offered me a discount on a new pair for $299.99. I obviously got stuck in a time-space vortex here on head-fi and somehow ended up on 1964ears (originally researching customs, until I saw the general prices of customs -- not quite ready to drop that kind of non budgeted $$ yet). Reading about their ADEL tech intrigued me, so then I started thinking about that as a possibility, in the universal IEM line they have.

THE QUESTION IS..

Go with discounted brand new from Westone, UM Pro 30 for $299.99 or go for 1964ears U3 (with ADEL) for 499.99? Bearing in mind the price difference to get that ADEL tech, but only 3 drivers, when I could jump in price on the Westone side and MAYBE squeak out a discount from them on a pair of UM Pro50 at maybe the same or lower cost?

I just don't know what to do, as $499.99 is REALLY stretching my budget especially when you consider just 3 drivers (yes ADEL tech could be a nice safety feature for the ears).

I'm really torn as I believe in "buy it for life", but also, realize, I have to keep a budget or else I'd not be able to feed the family either -- though audio would sound amazing. :)

The age old dilemma.

Thanks for any help/suggestions/input on these 2 models (or others).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back