Replacing Bose QC3
Oct 12, 2009 at 11:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

appleaddict

New Head-Fier
Ok, I currently have some bose QC3's, I got them for 1/3rd the price used, but I am looking for some new ones (they are getting pretty beat up).

I like closed ear, mostly because it doesn't leak too much sound, it isolates me from the rest of the world, etc. I don't really need noise canceling, and don't really care what they look like. I know BOSE gets a lot of **** for their prices, etc. but I did like these headphones, if I could find something with the same or better quality at a good price (i'm thinking the $150 range), that would be awesome.

As for their use, it will only be music, don't really care how anything else sounds. I don't listen to rap, so although people seem to rave about bose's base, while I like this, it's not really a priority. I listen to mostly rock and a lot of live music (a lot of dave matthews band). I use them primarily at my desk in my room.

Suggestions?

I was reading this: Best Closed Headphones - 2009 Gear Guide | HeadRoom Audio

wondering what your guys thoughts are.

Oct 13, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #4 of 13
Denon D1001's are always a good bet or Grado SR125i's. They both sound good but they are very different. The Denon's are a very comfortable closed can, slightly recessesed mids, great bass, and sparkly highs. The Grados or more for rock with a sound that is in your face.They are an open-style headphone, but they do not leak that much unless your music is played very loud. The bass on the grados isnt as big as the denons but it is defined and tight, mids are forward, and the highs are pretty much the same quality as the denons. The only problem with the grados is that some people think that they are uncomfortable.

Oct 14, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Galesden /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Denon D1001's are always a good bet or Grado SR125i's. They both sound good but they are very different. The Denon's are a very comfortable closed can, slightly recessesed mids, great bass, and sparkly highs. The Grados or more for rock with a sound that is in your face.They are an open-style headphone, but they do not leak that much unless your music is played very loud. The bass on the grados isnt as big as the denons but it is defined and tight, mids are forward, and the highs are pretty much the same quality as the denons. The only problem with the grados is that some people think that they are uncomfortable.

what is meant by slightly recessed mids? and what is meant, as headroom explains, "a slightly warm presentation?"

Oct 14, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #7 of 13
appreciate it. Tough decision, wish I could just try one of them for awhile. Granted, i'm not audiophile, just looking for a good headphone, the Denons will probably suit me just fine!

anyone have any other thoughts?

The Beyerdynamic DT 250s seem a little dated..

Oct 14, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #8 of 13
X2 HD 25. Denons aren't really portable IMO.

Oct 15, 2009 at 7:14 AM Post #10 of 13
Oct 15, 2009 at 7:32 AM Post #11 of 13
another vote for a a pair of HD25 or 25-1's. I wouldn't call the Denon's midrange recessed, the Ultrasone iCans and Zino's have recessed midrange, I always felt that the Denon 1000/1001's midrange wasn't as pin sharp as I expected them to be.

Oct 16, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #12 of 13
Seems the HD25's are good for portability and not that comfortable from reviews I am reading. I don't need them to be portable at all. Thoughts? I know no headphones are perfect, but these seem a little strange. But they appear to be getting quite the following on this thread!

Oct 16, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by captian73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
another vote for a a pair of HD25 or 25-1's. I wouldn't call the Denon's midrange recessed, the Ultrasone iCans and Zino's have recessed midrange, I always felt that the Denon 1000/1001's midrange wasn't as pin sharp as I expected them to be.

whats the different between the 25s and 25-1s? The 25's look more....normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back