replacing an ipod video battery - how difficult is it
May 28, 2009 at 1:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Gatto

1000+ Head-Fier
I've never really touched the inside of an ipod, I opened it once but that's all. How difficult is it to swap out the battery yourself? the DIY kits are only around $10 and a professional battery swap costs $60. Thanks

May 28, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #2 of 6
It's rather easy. I used a kit from ipodjuice.com which came with clear instructions. You just pry open the ipod with a non scratching tool, remove the powerstrip, place it on the new battery, place the new battery (maybe with some adhesive), close the ipod, and within 10 minutes you're done.

May 30, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #3 of 6
It's very easy, as long as you don't snap the battery connector off from the main board. It's not hard, you just have to be very careful. If you've opened it once before without breaking anything, and by opened you mean you've actually had it completely apart (folded open like a book) then that's the hardest part.

Be careful when you remove the old battery because you can easily tear the headphone cable that runs under it. The cable is clearly visible. So just make sure when you insert a flat head screw driver or something as leverage, to get the battery off the metal backing, that you do it away from the headphone cable and be conscious of it while you work on getting the battery off.

It's really really easy and you shouldn't waste $50 to have someone do it for you. You just have to be careful on these two points and you'll be fine.

May 31, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #4 of 6
You don't even need a diykit. Also, most battery replacements through ebay comes with the little tool that helps you open the ipod.

Just to youtube videos on how to change battery with using basic home tools. I was able to do it within about 3 minutes.

May 31, 2009 at 1:23 PM Post #5 of 6
yeah, easy mate, but I would recommend you get a better battery than what you can get for $10. I would recommend checking out the lickety split ebay store. they sell what is IMO the best ipod replacement battery 'Cameron Sino' you can get a 950mah battery shipped for under $14USD. they also come with a higher quality than normal spooger; which is the plastic pry tool these guys are talking about. many are pieces of the proverbial, but the one that comes with Cameron Sino is actually pretty high quality and will last longer than the once. alternatively you can use a credit card or drivers license to get the ipod open. use the spooger to undo the battery connector as well (or a long finger nail since you are of the fairer sex
biggrin.gif
and make sure not to try to pull the ipod apart, but to open it like a book as described above, but do check that the battery is loosened from the case (its stuck down with sticky stuff) before opening it fully, as you can pull the battery connector off the logic board and you'll be stuffed then. also you can see opening videos on ipodfixit that are comprehensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back