replacing amplifiers on vintage subwoofers: worth it?
Jun 14, 2015 at 6:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ukon16

Head-Fier
I have an old volkswoofer v-1b which was one of the first self powered subwoofers.

I decided to recap it(works fine but 30+ years old so why not) and thought....have subwoofer amplifiers gotten much better?

Is it worth just buying a newer Dayton plate amp with moar power....I know the vintage amp stuff stuff is ********(I repaired enough of them, pita) but Subs pcb boards have only 5-7 caps to replace.

I'll assume a more modern one would be more power efficient I guess.

Jun 14, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #2 of 4
I have an old volkswoofer v-1b which was one of the first self powered subwoofers.

I decided to recap it(works fine but 30+ years old so why not) and thought....have subwoofer amplifiers gotten much better?

Is it worth just buying a newer Dayton plate amp with moar power....I know the vintage amp stuff stuff is ********(I repaired enough of them, pita) but Subs pcb boards have only 5-7 caps to replace.

I'll assume a more modern one would be more power efficient I guess.

The part of subwoofers that has seen the most progress over the past 30 years is the speaker drivers.

Jun 18, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #3 of 4
You might appreciate this thread at AVS: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/868417-semi-diy-subwoofer-question.html

Jun 19, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #4 of 4
You might appreciate this thread at AVS: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/868417-semi-diy-subwoofer-question.html

Actually, it is pretty crude and ignores about 40 years of good relevant science.

The right way to do this project would be to select a new driver based on the existing cabinet dimensions, desired bass extension, and the use of one of the good subwoofer models that one can find on the web.

Then build it and measure it to make sure that all of the theoretical messing around had the desired results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back