Replacing a Single HD580 Driver
May 10, 2008 at 9:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

sarbruis

New Head-Fier
I'm thinking about buying a new "replacement element" for the left side of my HD580 because it crackles with certain deep bass frequencies (the right side doesn't). So, my only concern is that a new driver on the left side, when paired with the right side driver that's been in use for probably three years, will make things sound uneven, as it's not been broken in, etc. Is this a legitimate concern or should I not be able to notice at all?

May 10, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #3 of 8
First try swapping left and right cable to isolate that the problem is indeed the left driver and not something down stream (i.e. source, amp, etc).

After that I would check if there is a good connection between the cable and the driver. I remember a thread about how to fix this common problem with senn hd580/6x0, so do a search. Be careful when doing this procedure though. I remember severing something that rendered the driver useless when trying it and I had to buy a new element.

If you do end up getting a new element I would suggest also getting the hd650 cable as the connectors are a little thicker making the contacts better. Hope this helps

May 10, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ogresmash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you checked for a hair in the left side's driver? That's what usually causes crackling on deep bass notes.

It could well be a hair. Give the pads a firm tug to remove them, remove the foam and give the driver a gentle blow to remove any rubbish that's built up there.

May 14, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by CLum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First try swapping left and right cable to isolate that the problem is indeed the left driver and not something down stream (i.e. source, amp, etc).

After that I would check if there is a good connection between the cable and the driver. I remember a thread about how to fix this common problem with senn hd580/6x0, so do a search. Be careful when doing this procedure though. I remember severing something that rendered the driver useless when trying it and I had to buy a new element.

If you do end up getting a new element I would suggest also getting the hd650 cable as the connectors are a little thicker making the contacts better. Hope this helps

It's definitely the driver. And I have 650 cables. There was a hair in there, but I've taken the driver out (pulled it out as far as it goes) of the housing a few times and looked at it. So, presuming it's not a hair causing it, can anyone address my question about the new vs. old drivers?

May 14, 2008 at 2:12 AM Post #6 of 8
also note that new replacement drivers from sennheiser may be the updated white drivers. so if you have the old versions with the dark acoustic silk material, they'll definitely sound different even without taking burn-in into consideration.

May 14, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #7 of 8
It's almost certainly a hair, and you won't find it by "looking at it". You need to either blow or suck the hair out. Search for "grattle".

If you end up replacing one driver, you will almost certainly end up with poorly matched left and right sides. And that's before taking into consideration burn-in or different driver revisions.

May 14, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #8 of 8
All right. Thanks. I did a lot of blowing on the driver, so hopefully the problem has been fixed.

What are the new white drivers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back