Replacing a Sennheiser HD 280 Pro cable
Aug 30, 2009 at 2:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

MobsterOO7

New Head-Fier
Hey all, I'm going to need the knowledge of the resident DIY audiophiles for this.

I am sick of my headphone's coiled cord, to be polite: it pisses me off.

Sennheiser made a great decision in designing this headphone set to be repairable by making certain parts easy to replace. What I want to do is replace the coiled headphone cord with a straight headphone cord.

This is the end of the default cord that plugs into the inside of the set.

I'm seriously considering making a new cable from scratch, some of those recable jobs in the gallery thread look very nice. But when I try to navigate these websites I realize I have no idea what I should be looking for. I also have no idea where to look. I imagine I will need some cable and a connector, and if I'm feeling really adventurous I'd like to try and put some kind of tangle preventing sleeving over the whole thing.

Thank you for your help!

Aug 30, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #2 of 10
Here is what i did a few years back to mine. Installed a mini xlr into the cup and made a detachable cable with canare star quad. Probably cost be about $35 and a few hours of time.
IMG_1304.jpg

Aug 31, 2009 at 6:50 AM Post #4 of 10
I read through the tutorial on making an Interconnect, and based on that I've gone and queued up these for purchase to re-cord my HD280 Pros.

Canare L-4E6S Star Quad Microphone cable
http://www.markertek.com/Cables-Conn...-4E6S-BK.xhtml
Switchcraft 3.5mm right angle stereo plugs
Switchcraft Corporation Switchcraft 3.5mm Right Angle Stereo Plugs 3.5mm Adapters at Markertek.com

Will this make an adequate replacement cable for my headphones? What about the sleeving? I'm not sure what thickness to get with that kind of cable.

Any tips or advice would be welcome.

Aug 31, 2009 at 7:05 AM Post #5 of 10
those look like grate choices there. for sleeving look for "techflex easy cut" its a tightly woven sleeving that looks good. it only comes in gray and black so if you want any special color PET sleeving will do. for size im not so sure, but 1/4" 3/8" should do.

Aug 31, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #6 of 10
1/2" to 1/4" Adhesive on the inside Heatshrink
https://www.wirecare.com/products.asp?prodline=HA#
1/4" Techflex Clean Cut Black Cable Sleeving
https://www.wirecare.com/products.asp?prodline=CCP

Alright I think I have what I need as far as sleeving and heatshrink. I'm kind of worried because I have no idea how big the StarQuad cable actually is. Canare's site says 21 gauge but that is most likely for the wires inside the cable. Does anybody reading this know how thick this StarQuad cable is that I'm getting? At least tell me if heatshrink that goes down to 1/4" will be sufficient, if the cable is smaller than that I'm gonna be up a creek.

Also I'm wondering if anybody has some advice on the stopper thing on my current cable, the thing that keeps the cord from getting pulled out. I've been trying to think of a method that isn't just hot glue because that seems like it might not work very well to me.

I hope to make the cable about 10' long, otherwise I might as well keep the coiled cable.

Aug 31, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebhelyesfarku /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some sez that nylon multifilament sleeve is softer and less microphonic than PET monofilament.

And by microphonic you mean the phenomenon when wearing IEMs and I can "hear" my shirt, right?

If that's what you meant that, then thank you very much. I am not a fan of that at all. Also, softer is always better; thanks!

I've changed the sleeving to that Nylon Multifilament stuff still 1/4"
https://www.wirecare.com/products.asp?prodline=NM#

Sep 1, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #9 of 10
Quick question: I've been searching around for a jack like this with an included adapter. If you can't tell from the picture below, the 1/8" jack has screws on it for the 1/4" jack.

Can I buy this at one of these at one of these DIY sites? A right angle plug like this or a straight plug like this would be best.

Thanks for all your help so far!

Oct 4, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #10 of 10
HHopefully this thread is still active...

I have a 280 pro that I believe needs a recable (left driver dead) But opening the housing of the left driver is very nerve wrecking for me as it is my first time and I've tried to pull out the casing and it didnt budge...
can some advise me how to safely open the left driver unit so I can recable it..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back