Replacing a Rotary Encoder on my Receiver?
Dec 13, 2005 at 12:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Sodacose

100+ Head-Fier
Well, the knob on my Pioneer receiver recently bit the bullet after struggling for quite a long time. I've decided to replace it, just for the fun of it. The problem is that I can't find the specific rotary encoder for my model on the pioneer parts sites. The part is cmki-p3x I believe.

So, can I use any encoder to replace the old one? They don't have to be matched to the electronics or anything do they?

It would be awesome if someone could recommend an encoder that's suitable for a receiver. Thanks all for the help.

Dec 13, 2005 at 1:31 AM Post #2 of 14
Rotary encoders unfortunatly come in many different formats. You can't blindly substitute another encoder. If the specifics for the one you have can be determined then it can be substituted.

Dec 13, 2005 at 2:06 AM Post #4 of 14
No markings on the encoder?

Dec 13, 2005 at 2:22 AM Post #5 of 14
not that i can see. the pcb has a few things though:

cmki-p3x -it says this next to the encoder and underneath where the encoder's contacts go through the PCB

awx7386 -it says this in a corner of the pcb, i'm thinking it's pioneer's part no. for the assembly

s511 -says this near the encoder

j42 -with a box around it in a corner of the pcb

i'll try desoldering the encoder later to check its underside.

thanks for the help!

Dec 13, 2005 at 1:26 PM Post #6 of 14
pins tell you nothing really. Just a quick google on rotary encoders shows there are a vast number of ways they work, mechanically and electrically, and differnt signals they produce.

Dec 15, 2005 at 3:55 AM Post #7 of 14
so i took it apart and there were three contacts inside of it (like little tt arms). the underside of the knob shaft was like a star shape thing.

it looks like there used to be some kind of grease (looks a bit like vaseline) that kept the arms from shorting eachother. my guess is that either the grease dried up or the arms became bent by use over the years. i bent the arms further apart and now the knob works pretty well, but it still skips around every once in a while when changing volume.

does any of this say anything about what kind of encoder this is? any advice as to what kind of 'grease' i could add, or anything that might help this thing work more smoothly? thanks for all the help so far!

p.s. this is a pioneer vsx-d409. i got it for free when installing a new system for someone. pretty good deal for the little amount of work i did to get it working, eh?

Dec 15, 2005 at 4:21 AM Post #8 of 14
Do you have a 'scope you could hook it up to?

Putting it on a scope and turning the shaft would work..
Cheers!

Dec 15, 2005 at 5:08 AM Post #9 of 14
...i don't know how making this thing winter-fresh is going to help, but i'll give it a shot
confused.gif

Dec 15, 2005 at 5:52 AM Post #10 of 14
no no no NO NO!!!!
eek.gif
I think scope conducts

I meant an oscilloscope.. I assume you dont have it then =p

Dec 16, 2005 at 12:50 AM Post #13 of 14
There's lots of sources for single encoders but you still need to know the type. For instance there's the one I bought from altronics which sends out 2 pulses to ground one leading the other depending on which way you turn.

I've seen encoders which count in increasing bits and actually count digitally.

Dec 16, 2005 at 5:05 PM Post #14 of 14
well i contacted pioneer last night and they got back to me this morning with the part number from their website. maybe it's a little more than i would have like to pay (is $13 for an encoder reasonable?), but i know it will work.

thanks a bunch to everyone who helped me out here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back