Replacing a headphone plug, want to keep factory 1/4" adapter
Oct 7, 2013 at 1:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

HipHopDj

New Head-Fier
I have some Audio Technica ATH-M50s. I was gonna replace the headphone plug, but I want to keep the factory 1/4" adapter, mostly because it screws on, and not just connects. I saw these at Radioshack: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103682 and a gold plated one, but neither look like they would screw into the factory 1/4" adapter.

I know I can just buy another 1/4" adapter but it would be nice to keep the original stock one, or at least get one that screws in.

Oct 7, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #2 of 10
So the stock plug on the ATH-M50 does what you want, but you still want to replace it?

Oct 7, 2013 at 6:08 AM Post #4 of 10
Wow sorry, I got way ahead of myself.. Well I'm not sure the plug is broken, but I think it is. The headphones sound like there is a huge phaser or muffled effect on the sound. And the volume is about 1/4 of what it used to be, if even that. It happens when I plug them into any device. Not quite sure what happened. I've only had them about 2 or 3 years. They were working fine the last time I used them, no intermittant problems or anything. No liquids got on them.

Oct 7, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #6 of 10

Just saying. 

On a slightly serious note, what does your multimeter say when you measure "ohms" at various points on the plug? 
Tip to sleeve
Rip to ring
sleeve to ring  

Just saying what?? Should I expect to replace a headphone plug every few years? I've had all my other headphones longer than these, and these get the lightest use. I leave them plugged in to my computer. They don't move anywhere, they stay on my table. No one uses them but me. The cord never gets strained. They might be plugged into my mbox to check a mix on the headphones.

My DJ headphones are 5 years old and get plenty of abuse during gigs. They're still fine, besides the worn out earpads that are not replaceable.

In general, I buy good equipment, treat it well, and it lasts. I don't ever buy replacement equipment, only the use items that are meant to wear, like needles and light bulbs.

Tip to ring: steady 70 ohms, no fluctuation or anything, headphones crackle
Tip to sleeve: infinite resistance (displays 1 on any ohm setting), no sound from headphones
Sleeve to ring: infinite resistance (displays 1 on any ohm setting), no sound from headphones

Oct 7, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #7 of 10
Sorry, 2-3 years is not a bad run for a thinner headphone cable. 

Anyways, your ground wire is busted. 

Depending where the break is you *may* be able to salvage the plug.

If you can get the headphones to work well (even momentarily) by wiggling the cable near the cup you are in buisness. Figure out where the break is (again more wiggling) open up the headphones, remove the old cable, and cut the last few inches off of the cable. Strip the cable a bit and solder everything back in place. 

If you get the headphones singing by wiggling the cable near the plug, you are out of luck for saving the plug. Time for a new cable. 

Oct 9, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #10 of 10
How exactly do I do that? Can I just cut it where connects to the earpad? Or do I have to open up the earpad somehow?

Also where do I get a new cable of comprable quality? I like the coiled stock one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back