Replacements for Shure SE425's
Feb 23, 2013 at 4:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Neotriple

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

So, a few months ago, my package containing replacement SE425's was stolen. As I'm looking for a replacement pair of headphones, I decided to *maybe* branch out and look for a few other models. Not wanting to spend a ton of money, I wound up with the GR07's from Vsonic. At first, I found them to be incredibly comfortable, but sound wise, they did not fit my needs at all. They sound qutie muddy, especially down low, even compared to my X10's. 

I think I've broken them in enough (about ~20-ish hours), but I'm willing to try breaking them in further.

However, in the mean time, it got me thinking into looking at other IEM's in the price range of about $250. I loved my SE425's (and I even paid a pretty penny to get them replaced since those ended up breaking). Things sounded really smooth and well put into place. Maybe my iPhone just couldn't the Vsonic's without an amp? I tried using my Fiio E17, but they sounded weak down in the bottom ranges.

As far as my needs go; I produce electronic music (trance, IDM, and a lot of other genres). I have monitors, and DT880's, but I do like to use my IEM's for production. The 425's obviously weren't the most natural pair of headphones, but I loved the kick to them. 

So I'm looking into suggestions. I did read the giant massive IEM thread, but personal suggestions are welcome as well. 

Thanks!

Neotriple

*Edit*

I'm an idiot, didn't see the 'suggestions' thread. I used it for the full-sized forum, but since I didn't immediately see it here, I figured it didn't exist. I was wrong. I have now copy/pasted this to that thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here/2880

Feb 23, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #2 of 2
If you liked SE425 because transparency, realistic sounding then RE272 are very close in term of soundsignature and do few things better like better space between instruments, more bass and more hidden details. Other IEMs like GR01, CK10, EX7550 are also great buy under this budget and you can also buy used IEMs from here like UM3X, Westone 3, SM3, SE535 and they are amazing and definitely good upgrade over SE425.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back