Replacement tips for UM1
Feb 20, 2008 at 4:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

vlatko

New Head-Fier
Just recieved my UM1's and they're great! I'm currently burning them in. Thanks to everyone in this forum for giving me their opinions, I searched a lot around this place and found LOTS of info.

My question is? What replacement tips fit on the UM1? I'm afraid I have a little larger ears and the Standard Comply tips fit but I don't get that perfect seal. What are the alternatives that fit on UM1? Are there any non-foam tips for it?

These are my first IEM's and I'm looking to try out as much as I can.

Thanks

Feb 20, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use Shure black olives. The comply tips didn't fit my ears, too small, so I had to find other tips.

The large ones? Are they bigger than Comply's standard that come with the UM1's?

BTW, are these the so called "olives"?

Feb 20, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #4 of 13
BTW, are these the so called "olives"?

Yes.

The large Shure black foamies are quite large -- certainly bigger than the Complys. They will be sturdier, as well, in that they will last longer before having to be changed (plus they can be cleaned of more easily than other fomaies can). The mediums might be good for you, too -- the Shures aren't as tapered (or "aerodynamic") as the Complys are.

I like the Complys a little bit more, but I like the Shures, too, and they should be more cost-effective for everyday use.

Feb 20, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #5 of 13
Shure triple flange.

Cut the stalk so it's flush.

Then cut the smallest of the three "flanges" off.

Feb 21, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #6 of 13
The size of the comply tips are between the small and medium olives. My ear canals flare open, so with the UM1 I need the large olives. With my im716, I can use a small in my left ear and a medium in my right ear.

Feb 21, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by brent75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shure triple flange. Cut the stalk so it's flush. Then cut the smallest of the three "flanges" off.

x2 - Exactly !!!

Feb 21, 2008 at 7:45 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

The size of the comply tips are between the small and medium olives. My ear canals flare open, so with the UM1 I need the large olives. With my im716, I can use a small in my left ear and a medium in my right ear.

What do you mean "flare open"?

When I use the comply's that came with the UM1, the larger ones fit looking at the length, what bugs me is the width, my ear canal is a little wider.

What do you suggest I get Shure mediums or large? Does the size differentiate by length of the tip or the width(better yet volume) of the tip?

Thanks

P.S. I'll also order the tripple flange one's as well, just so I can experience both silicone and foams.

Feb 21, 2008 at 1:18 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by vlatko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you mean "flare open"?

When I use the comply's that came with the UM1, the larger ones fit looking at the length, what bugs me is the width, my ear canal is a little wider.

What do you suggest I get Shure mediums or large? Does the size differentiate by length of the tip or the width(better yet volume) of the tip?

Thanks

P.S. I'll also order the tripple flange one's as well, just so I can experience both silicone and foams.

The middle part of my ear canal is fairly small. This is where the straight into your ear IEMs go. I use a small tip in my left ear and a medium in my right ear. At the end of my ear canal, it gets significantly wider. I barely have to compress the large tips on the UM1 to get them in my ear. I got no seal at all with the Comply tips. I tried the medium first, but didn't get a good seal, so ordered the large. I'm not sure what to recommend, because if the large are to big, they can be uncomfortable. That's what happened when I tried the large on my im716

Mar 19, 2008 at 3:07 PM Post #10 of 13
Hi all. Few days ago I recieved these Shure foams(eBay). I thought the large foams would be, well large, but they're smaller than big Comply's I got with my UM1's and don't isolate nearly as good as the Comply's. Here are two pictures of these foams with Comply's for comparison purposes. To me it looks like they're mediums compared to Comply's.

DSC03138.jpg

Complys fit much better than the olives for me. Though the olives look much nicer and expand a lot quicker than Comply's. But the sound is what counts and for me, olives don't have as good sound.

I also tried the tri-flange to bi-flange moid, as instructed, but I feel as if they make too much pressure. The isolation is good, the sound is good, but I have feeling as if my head will explode. :p

Mar 19, 2008 at 3:16 PM Post #11 of 13
For me, the diameter is more important than the length. Because of the geometry of my ear, the tip of long complies get pinched closed, so almost no sound gets out. The small complies can go in without compressing. The large Shure tips just fill the opening of my ear canal with just a little compression. I can actually put them in with no compression if I lift the top of my ear and shove them in.

Everyone's ears are different
biggrin.gif

Mar 19, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

For me, the diameter is more important than the length. Because of the geometry of my ear, the tip of long complies get pinched closed, so almost no sound gets out. The small complies can go in without compressing. The large Shure tips just fill the opening of my ear canal with just a little compression. I can actually put them in with no compression if I lift the top of my ear and shove them in.

Everyone's ears are different
biggrin.gif

That's the most important factor it seems.

So, are there any other foams out there, similar to Comply's in proportions and similar to Shure's in design(meaning washable, expanding quicker), that I can try out?

Mar 19, 2008 at 4:25 PM Post #13 of 13
Not that I know of. Ety does make some, but I've never heard anything good about them. There's a thread about DIY foam tips. I tried it when I had a pair of Super.fi 3s because the stock tips hurt so much. It was pretty easy to make them. Unfortunately, nothing could make the Super.fis comfortable for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back