Replacement recommendation for my iPod 5.5G
Jul 18, 2023 at 7:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mikebeauchamp

New Head-Fier
So my beloved ipod video, with rockbox and SD card mod finally stopped working last night. Made a weird squelch noise through the headphones and has been silent ever since. Oh well, it had a good run.. 3 moves, 2 hemispheres.

What portable player should I be looking for that plays FLAC files seamlessly (no gaps inbetween tracks) and has an interface that can be navigated with physical buttons and no touch screen? Happy to find something a few years old used.. would prefer that to buying something brand new.

Jul 18, 2023 at 7:22 PM Post #2 of 6
So my beloved ipod video, with rockbox and SD card mod finally stopped working last night. Made a weird squelch noise through the headphones and has been silent ever since. Oh well, it had a good run.. 3 moves, 2 hemispheres.

What portable player should I be looking for that plays FLAC files seamlessly (no gaps inbetween tracks) and has an interface that can be navigated with physical buttons and no touch screen? Happy to find something a few years old used.. would prefer that to buying something brand new.
Budget? Inexpensive, but very good, the xDuoo X2S.

Jul 18, 2023 at 7:39 PM Post #4 of 6
Review of the X2S, dude said that it inserts a 1s gap between songs.. no bueno. budget would be like $200-250, anything more than that and I'll just get another iPod.

Button-only DAPs are becoming more rare each day. Used ones might need battery replacements, just like iPods. I've pondered sending my iPod Classics to one of those services on eBay that installs SD card storage and replacement batteries. But I am generally content now with my touch screen DAPs, so I've never gone that route.

Jul 20, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #5 of 6

I've heard good things about the HiFi Walker H2, but I don't know how well it does gapless.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072C4YPCG/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back