Replacement Power Cord for Audioengine A5+'s?
Mar 23, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #3 of 7
Not money efficient to replace the power cable on speakers in that price range to try to improve sound.  If it uses a standard power cable try some 14 awg from monoprice

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #5 of 7
  Hello, I feel that the stock power cable lacks power for my A5+'s. Should I replace it? If yes, what should I try?
Thanks.

How would a power cable give you more power? A bigger amplifier will give you more power, and you'd have to be using a cable that absolutely isn't up to spec to throttle an amp. Electricity isn't like fuel where you're gonna need a stronger pump and larger injectors when you use a T66 turbocharger with a 2.0 inline-4.

The only real benefit to an "upgraded" power cable is you get to use really nice, tough plugs that don't get pulled out easily (people with no biceps whatsoever will consider that as a disadvantage), and for the most part instead of just rewiring a wimpy cable we use left overs from building contractors, you might as well wrap them in aesthetic jackets, then solder in hospital-grade plugs just to make the system looks all-business right down to the (barely visible) cables running to and from the power strip, and I've had cables like these for $20 in parts plus pizza for the guy who assembles and hacksaws the industrial-grade cable. Yeah, the real benefit is the housekeeper with a vacuum cleaner or small children won't easily pull anything out of their sockets, but in the same vein as when you're gonna be wearing medieval or ancient armor anyway, you might as well pimp it out (like Samurai armor, or Alexander's lion helmet).

Mar 25, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #6 of 7
  Also, has anyone used the Nordost Purple Flare power cable and the Audioquest NRG-1? Which sounds better?

Theyre power cords. If you disconnect them, go outside, and whirl them around your head like a lasso really fast, they ought to make a pretty satisfying wizzing sound. In both cases, the sound you hear is from vortex shedding and should be at the frequency f ~ 0.2 * V/D. Here, V is the azimuthal velocity of the cable as you swing it around your head and D is the diameter of the power cord. The "0.2" is a typical value for the Strouhal number of a cylinder. Two things to note: 1) the further away from the center of rotation, the faster the cord moves, therefore there is a distribution of azimuthal velocity, and consequently the wizzing sound will be broadband. 2) the cord with thicker diameter will generate lower frequency, so if you want enhanced bass, get the thicker cord. Hope this helps! :wink:

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back