Replacement power cable's C7 connector only goes part way in with Audioengine A5+
Apr 3, 2013 at 4:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

highstream

100+ Head-Fier
I use a pair of Audioengine 5+ powered speakers with my TV - 2.0, not HT - and just received a Pangea 14SE power cable to replace the stock one. On the speaker side, the connector is a two pin C7 (IEC 320-C7). What I'm finding is the new cable connector only goes half way in, i.e., the speaker's connector is relatively shallow. It barely makes electrical connection and of course the connection is not firm, just the opposite of what one expects with any appliance and normally wants with audio equipment. When I asked the company that sells it for Pangea, they said as long as electrical connection is made, don't worry. I do. I'm wondering if anyone else has enountered this sort of C7 or similar plug problem and how they've handled it. My purpose in getting the cable was partly sound quality and partly an attempt (experiment) to see if a larger cable would resolve a sound cutout problem when switching on or between devices that I'm guessing is electrical in origin. Thanks,

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #2 of 5
The sound cutout is a wiring fault somewhere in your home, I think.  I do not really know.

Are you absolutely sure that nothing is obstructing the power plug?  If so, then try shaving a little off of the C7's plastic where it gets stuck in the A5's socket.  Little by little until it inserts properly.  If you over do it a bit, then add thickness again with electrical tape.

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks, I was thinking the same thing about sawing down the rubber, tho so far it's holding well.

What makes you think wiring is at fault? It's not random, but at only three points in the process of use, and only since adding the DAC driven by Toslink and AC to USB power. Btw, I also got a Pangea 14 power cord for the TV and so far have the sense that it has reduced the problem - or maybe it's just random luck. That is, since installing it the only problem of the three thus far is that the TV comes on soundless most of the time. However, merely putting the AE 5+ speakers to sleep and then switching back and forth between TV and media player, not even starting a video on the player, brings the sound back.

Apr 7, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #4 of 5
I figure it's a wiring fault or something because other devices affect the A5 as you said.  Not a fault in the A5 (I could be wrong here), but somewhere along the power lines between your equipment and the wall outlet(s) that you're using (I should have been more specific).
Don't quote me on that.

Apr 7, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #5 of 5
Everything plugs into the Zune strip, with only the TV, DAC and speakers effected by turning on the TV; the cable box and media player are running constant. Given how the bigger power cables for TV and speakers have apparently mitigated or eliminated two-thirds of the symptoms, my bet is on the AE-provided USB cable (or maybe the Toslink). Soon to be dealt with.

P.S. After setting up the TV-Toslink-DAC-A5+ chain, the three scenarios in which there was often no sound were the following:

1) at TV power on (cable remote)
2) after switching between TV and Patriot Box Office media player and starting video (off USB stick), or switching the other way (all via remote)
3) after reversing video on media player and then pushing the forward button (remote)

It appears that 2 and 3 have abated with the larger power cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back