Replacement PMP for Zune HD - Suggestions?
Dec 21, 2010 at 4:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

neptunegears

New Head-Fier
Hello all.
I'm looking to supplant my Zune HD 16 for a better PMP.  My main qualms with the Zune are: Zune Marketplace, the Zune player UI, & EQ options.  I'm wanting a PMP with drag & drop in Windows Explorer (running Win7 x64), a simple & direct UI on the player itself, & more advanced EQ options; beyond just simple themes (Party, Classical, Rock, Club, etc.).  I'm an avid podcast listener, & so getting podcasts off of the internet & onto the player easily is also very important to me.  And of course, it must have sound quality that is at least equal to the Zune HD - which I must admit is pretty good to my ears.
My everyday phones are a year-old pair of Sennheiser HD 555s, & I listen to a lot of Electronica (more ambient leaning; not bass heavy techno) & Classical.
Everyone talks about the Sony X Series Walkman, as well as the Cowon.  Given my criteria, what would you good folks suggest?
Thank you very much for you time.

Dec 21, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #2 of 9
What would you like to spend?

Video too?
With amp?

I love my zune, I couldn't go with a ipod for the life of me

If I had to choose, I would go with my zune, but then a cowan, then sony

Cowan would be what you would like, it's highly customizable, and produces great sound.
Sony would be if you want something at a great price for what it has

tell me our budget, I'll tell you the best pmp to buy

Dec 22, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #3 of 9
Thank you for your response.

Video (Wi-Fi, apps, etc.) is of no consequence; I'm simply looking for a great sounding player with the above options.  I'm also not looking for something that needs an external amp to really make it shine.  I would need a minimum capacity of 16 GB.

Budget-wise, I'm willing to go up $400 - Any more than that, & I would be afraid I'd be getting into a level of PMP that might be moot when coupled with my budget-conscience HD 555s.

So far my research has put the Cowon J3 in a good light - however I've read that it has issues with podcasts; no dedicated menu for them, as well as an inability stop listening & pick it back up where you left off.

I'm new to audiophile, & would appreciate any/all suggestions.

Dec 22, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #5 of 9
Absolutely no question it should be either Cowon S9 or J3.
I myself also had a Zune HD. NIce hardware but PITA software. I just had it with the syncing and converting.
Then I sold the Zune and got a 16gb S9 for around 110 dollars used, and I cannot be happier.
When people praise S9, they usually talk about the SQ, AMOLED screen, EQ, and battery life (all of which are true and nice) but the thing I like most about it is the sheer ease and flexibility of operation.
Drag and drop your music or video and it will just work perfectly. For the zune, I would have to convert many of the files (and still sometimes they would still not work) and then go through the annoying zune software to sync it (syncing was extremely buggy for me for some reason). Infuriatingly, sometimes the zune would even scramble the track numbers. It was just a nightmare. Not only is putting files in to S9 stupidly easy, it also maintains the directory structure, which, for a nerd like me, is very welcomed.

Becuase of this "transparency," S9 is also very flexible and customizable. Implementing user-made UI is easy and some of them are absolutely beautiful (therefore negating the only real advantage the Zune had imo).

On the s9 at least, there is bookmarks function which can save where you stopped listneing. I don't use podcasts, so I can't comment on that.

Cowon's EQ is well known for being superior to most of what's out there. It is also very customizable.
I didn't get to compare SQ S9 side to side with Zune HD, but my impression is that it is superior, especially with some EQ presets. It is quite spectacular with my shure e500, esp. considering its portability. 

The only drawback I can conceive is lack of wifi (it was barely usable on zune anyway), slightly slower touch response, and the fact that you will fiddle with the UI a little to get a good feeling of it. However, I don't think this is really due to bad design. Instead, it is due to the player being very customizable and full of unexpected features (you can slow/speed up audio and video, take screencap of video, record radio,10+ eq presets, etc)
TL:DR, If I were you, I would get a Cowon S9 32 gb (around 200 new and even cheaper used). You can thank me later.

Dec 23, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #6 of 9
God shoenbrug3, you wrote a lot

Apart from the Zune HD

For your budget

get a
Nationite s:flo2
http://mp4nation.net/catalog/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=Nationite+S%3AFlo2

The front page has a section where you can win one, not likely, yet fun

They have a 8GB, and 16 GB BOTH with expandable memory through micro sd

The s;flo2 does not need a amp, it has like half of one inside (my idea of it), that's enough to move full sized headphones

It's got great EQ, nice screen, touch screen, it's one of the cheapest hi-fi players and it's built like a rock

You can get a package, including a 16GB version, 16GB micrso sd - more memory, some brainwavez m3 in ear buds - great buds. all for $270

Buy a warranty from Squaretrade for three years, for like $40 - it will replace and pay you to get a NEW or UPDATED version in full

I would say it does need a amp, it has a line out for it, but you don't need to get one, they drive sound better then the Zune HD - and that's saying a lot without a amp

I'm stuck on either buying one or a new amp to run on my Zune HD

Cowan are great also, yet they focus on hitting every standard in the pmp world, and kinda skimp of all of them - like trying to cover all your bases

You can also buy a Sansa Clip with extra storage, and warranty for under $100, then buy a good amp and interconnect for under $400

But s;flo2 is best bet for you

Dec 23, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #7 of 9
Well, I am sort of having a difficulty seeing why s;flo2 would be better than Cowon s9.
Cowon S9 also drives and probably sounds better than zune HD.
It can do also do a lot more than the s flo. Probably has superior battery life and screen.
Cowon definitely didn't skimp on audio (SQ and EQ) or video (they did skimp on flash and UI a little, sure). What you describe sounds a lot like a itouch or zune HD. 
The only conceivable drawback is lack of a line out. This might not matter at all if the OP isn't interested in lugging around a portable amp.

Also for the 32gb equivalents of Cowon and s flo, Cowon is 70 dollars cheaper. 

Dec 23, 2010 at 2:58 AM Post #8 of 9
Cowon X7, Creative X-Fi2, D2+ and S-Flo2....... 

Dec 24, 2010 at 10:16 AM Post #9 of 9
Consider the Archos 32 or 43. They plays almost every codec, have WiFi and access to android apps in addition to having bluetooth if you don't like wires. $149 for the 32.  Same as an 8gb Nano, but with the features of a Touch. The 16gb 43 is more on par with the Touch, having a 480x854 pixel 4.3" screen.

I've put reviews (personal opinions from using both) on my blog. The 43 is hard to find, as it sells out as soon as it is available. You can get a 32 at Sears.  Watch for sales.
32 Review
43 Review

4D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back