Replacement parts for Sennheiser HD558 or HD598?
Jan 3, 2013 at 9:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

brian1115

New Head-Fier
OK so I am going to buy either a 558 or 598 price permitting, I was originally looking at a Beyedynamic DT 700 Pro 80 ohm for around the same price as the HD 558s.  What I want to know is if I choose the Sennheiser route can I buy replacement parts from them to maintain the sound as I use it over the years?

I know with Beyerdynamic they have all the parts listed on their website which makes it really easy to maintain their headphones, I can't seem to find any info from Sennheiser's website about this.

Thanks 
smile.gif

Jan 3, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:
OK so I am going to buy either a 558 or 598 price permitting, I was originally looking at a Beyedynamic DT 700 Pro 80 ohm for around the same price as the HD 558s.  What I want to know is if I choose the Sennheiser route can I buy replacement parts from them to maintain the sound as I use it over the years?

I know with Beyerdynamic they have all the parts listed on their website which makes it really easy to maintain their headphones, I can't seem to find any info from Sennheiser's website about this.

Thanks 
smile.gif

I think if you contact their customer support, they'll tell you. 

Jan 3, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Save some cash, buy some used HD558 and remove the black rubber tape from inside the cups.

Jan 4, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
What does that do?

The black rubber tape block about 1/3 of the outer holes, so removing the black rubber tape opens up the HD558.
I think Sennheiser added the black rubber tape to make the HD558 sound more bassy and less like the HD598s
So removing the black rubber tape will not make the HD558 sound as good as the HD598, but I'm assuming removing the tape gets you half way there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back