Replacement of Sennheiser PX 100
Apr 21, 2008 at 11:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Jumbotron

New Head-Fier
Hello:

I bought the PX 100 two days ago. I like how they sound, but using them i need to listen to the music quite loud because they are open and don't isolate at all. Do you know similar closed headphones? I don't want the PX 200 because i've read that they sound worse than the PX 100. I don't want big headphones because i'm going to use them outdoors, i don't want IEM/Earbuds either because i have very sensitive ears. I can spend up to $100.

Thank you in advance.

Apr 22, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #2 of 10
I'm on the same boat as you. I want a portable closed and the only ones I've really found that are of comparable quality are the Beyer DT231 and the AKG K81. Neither of them really appeal to me due to their 8 feet cord length.

I've heard great things about the Denon D1000 and might just get those. Although they are bulkier, I think they will do the lossless files on my iPod more justice. They can be had for $100 at Amazon.

Apr 22, 2008 at 9:36 AM Post #4 of 10
I'd agree with both of the above suggestions of the JBL and AKG 81's and even the Beyers. however, if it's a matter of size the AKG 81's aren't that big. I've included the Bose Triport OE's , just to wind up the Bose bashers! The AKG's are the K518's. as i understand the changes between the 81's and 518's are cosmetic

Headphonedeals.org » Blog Archive

the JBL's are a similar size your PX100's. I wouldn't bother with the PX200's. if you can live with a little extra size and a huge dollop of well controlled bass, then the 81's are a good choice.

Apr 22, 2008 at 9:40 AM Post #5 of 10
Thank you head-fi'ers, i'll have a look at those models that you suggest.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by decayed.cell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps JBL Reference 410 (modded AKG K27i) if you want foldable?

I don't mind whether they are foldable, it's not important to me.

I'll keep my eyes wide open to read new probable suggestions, thank you.

Apr 22, 2008 at 11:30 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Perhaps JBL Reference 410 (modded AKG K27i) if you want foldable?

Those both cans are basically old AKG k 26 p, which is awful sounding cans. Better go with PX 200.

Apr 22, 2008 at 11:58 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jumbotron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello:

I bought the PX 100 two days ago. I like how they sound, but using them i need to listen to the music quite loud because they are open and don't isolate at all. Do you know similar closed headphones? I don't want the PX 200 because i've read that they sound worse than the PX 100. I don't want big headphones because i'm going to use them outdoors, i don't want IEM/Earbuds either because i have very sensitive ears. I can spend up to $100.

Thank you in advance.

Try the PMX200, which gives you a great seal. The seal is the obstacle for most listeners of the PX/PMX200. Once you get that seal, you're good to go. You can always use the PXC300 earpads on the PX200/PMX200 for an even better seal.

you can also trade in your old earbuds or broken headphones for cash when you upgrade to PX200.

Apr 22, 2008 at 11:28 PM Post #9 of 10
If meant for "fun" listening, the Bose Around Ear isn't that bad, as long as you pay $50 or less for it.
But seriously, go out and buy the AKG K81/K518, reterminate the plug or simply recable them and you are set.

Apr 25, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those both cans are basically old AKG k 26 p, which is awful sounding cans. Better go with PX 200.

I double that!

I would also advise you to check on the ES7!

(dont know if it is 100EUR or 100USD, but it sure worth every cent!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back