Replacement IEM needed: good bass, no microphonics, good build
Sep 13, 2009 at 7:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

buz

500+ Head-Fier
My Bijou 3 (I am a bass head what can I say) recently stopped playing in one ear (after 5 months gna) and so I'm back to the unbearable microphonics of my RE2s which sent me out to this wonderful place to look for a replacement.

I have 3 requirements
* Good bass (Bijou 3 were a little on the high side even for me)
* Little to no microphonics (I like to use them for gym and walking) which is why I hate the RE2 (they even create noise when just sitting at the laptop as now)
* Decent build quality

Additionally a microphone (compatible to BB Curve) could be nice but is not really a requirement.

So far, I've been considering Crossroads Quattro, Head Direct RE0 (because of the sale), Denon AH C551 (which I really like before I lost them but unfortunately, they run 130 USD in Switzerland which is far above their worth) or the Nuforce NE7M (which I'm not yet sure how to get). How does the microphonics/bass of the RE0 compare to RE2 (which I find to be severely lacking on both topics)? Are there any other
IEMs I should be considering?

Price is not that important except for the fact that I travel a *lot* and trash/lose my fair share of stuff while at it...
Edit: I mainly listen to all sorts of metal these days so fast response is important - I however do not care too much about treble (I never use those proposed high treble rock/metal equalizer settings FWIW)

Sep 14, 2009 at 7:02 AM Post #2 of 11
Microphonics from a IEM is very hard to get away from. Most will have some level, some a lot. The only good way to get away from this is with a over-the-ear type of setup, either with a normal IEM or an IEM designed to be worn that way.

A microphone isn't available on a lot of IEMs, so that will limit choices too. There are quite a few out there that do have this feature.

If you're looking at the RE0, you don't have a problem spending around $100.

An immediate suggestion would be Phonak Audio's PFE. It's over the ear so zero microphonics, is available with a built in microphone, and it's not terribly expensive. If you can forgo the microphone, it's just $120. With the microphone it's $160 which may be getting a bit pricey for the range you might be looking at. You'll have to decide how much the microphone is worth to you. It will be a significant step up from the Bijou 3 though and in my opinion very well worth the money, microphone or not. You may be able to find a used pair for cheaper too and save some cash.

Sep 14, 2009 at 7:33 AM Post #3 of 11
How's the build quality of the PFE? It looks very plastic like. Also, it is said to sound a little clinical which I'm not sure about considering I dont like my RE2 at all... (It will greatly depend on the local pricing, 150USD as in most local shops I'm not gonna pay)

As for microphonics, I found both the Denon C551 as well as the Bijou to be ok but the RE2 was unusable.

Sep 14, 2009 at 11:23 AM Post #4 of 11
I second the over-the-ear setup. I wear IEMs that way by default, and almost never have problems with microphonics.

About the C551s, perhaps you might want to call a US audio dealer and explain the situation. The street price here is $55 NEW, so even if you pay, say, $50 in shipping, you're still ahead.

Sep 14, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #5 of 11
so like mvw2 said, microphonics is hard to get away from in IEM's and if your not planning on wearing the RE0 over the ear - then I wouldn't recommend it for you because the microphonics on the re0 are pretty bad unless worn over the ear.

Sep 15, 2009 at 7:14 AM Post #6 of 11
Thanks a lot for the honest feedback about the RE0.

I think I am going to replace the Bijou (I like it, even though it is rather boomy and it has very little bothering microphonics) as offered by Wilson and order a NE-7M from ebay just to see whether it is any good with the BlackBerry (the default blackberry headset as supplied by my employer is atrocious). If it is as good for music as they say, I might even use it for that. Cutting down on stuff I need take care of while traveling would always be a bonus.

Sep 15, 2009 at 9:15 AM Post #7 of 11
What about the Sennheiser IE8?
I own the IE7 and they have very very little microphonics. I suppose the IE8 is more or less the same (in terms of microphonics, that is). Also the 8 has quite powerful bass AFAIK.

Also the cable of IE8 is user-replaceable so I think that's a plus for you.

Sep 15, 2009 at 12:26 PM Post #8 of 11
With the caveat of it being 250USD in CH, that's more than what I am going to pay for an IEM...

Sep 26, 2009 at 9:56 AM Post #9 of 11
I have been testing the NE-7M for a while now - it still needs some more burn in I guess but so far, I'm quite pleased with it (trying the foam thingies for now, will probably try to get it working with some biflanges when I get my hands on a set, the single flanges work but are by far less isolating of course).

It sounds less clinical than the RE-2, has much less microphonics (probably thanks to the much saner cabling, the one on the RE2 is rather ridiculous). Overall, it seems like a very balanced headphone - sort of like the Denon I had lost and it has by far the best soundstage I've heard so far (I think it only made realize what the concept really means now
wink.gif
. With a little equalizer use, I also get it to provide ample bass without suffering of the muddiness that the Bijou 3 provides. The microphone is just icing on the cake for use with the BlackBerry...

Sep 26, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #10 of 11
It has a thicker presence, so no, it won't sound terribly clinical. However, it does have good accuracy and definition short of deep bass. One thing specifically that bugged me with the NE-7M, is that there's a solid spike around 5kHz that needs to be tamed. If you have the ability to do a 6dB EQ cut at 5kHz, it tames down the trebble considerably and evens out the whole top end response. Midbass is strong but likable, and well controlled. Deep bass is a bit uncontrolled/sloppy. Frequency response isn't the most extended I've heard and rolls off on both the top and bottom ends, but many headphones are this way. For the $50 price tag, it is decently nice though and offers a fun presentation and plenty of accuracy and detail.

Oct 1, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #11 of 11
mvw2: very good point. I tried messing with low and mid bass eq and it sort of worked, but messing with 3 and 6khz eqs is a lot more effective and introduces less distortions. Thanks for the tip!

One thing that is a bit disturbing (I now use it with the mid size head direct bi flanges) is that you hear your own voice in a very weird way when using it as headset but it's definitely a step up from standard issue BlackBerry branded crud.

In the end, while I would not have any real beef with spending th 150USD on an Audeo, I expect these to get lost broken in the course of a few months anyway as a result of very intensive travelling. At that point, I rather replace a 50USD piece of kit every few months then 150 USD, obviously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back