Replacement headphone cables - not the best, just good value!
Apr 7, 2010 at 11:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

markm1111

100+ Head-Fier
Hi

I have a pair of AKG K702's, and Senn HD 650's. I am also contemplating buying a pair of Beyer DT880's. For the reasons below, I want to replace the stock cables.

My source gear and amps are on the other side of a small room where I do most of my listening. The stock 10' (3m) cables are just a bit too short to be able to reach comfortably, so I am using an extension cable I was given. This cable is quite long and heavy, and definitely impacts on the sound quality. Rather than buy another extension cable and have the joining connection, I thought it might be an opportunity to upgrade the stock cables a bit at the same time as making them longer.

I am after a cable for each pair of phones, approximately 15' (5m) in length, but would go to 20'. It should have very little microphonics, as I quite often work when listening so I am not completely still. I would like some improvement over the stock cables, but as mentioned in the title, I don't want the absolute best (and corresponding high price), just some sort of audible improvement. I'd also want them to be fairly flexible rather than the stiffer types of cables.

Budget? I'd like it to be a maximum of $150 a cable, but less would be better. Doesn't have to be a brand name. DIY is an option I guess, but my soldering skills are very limited (read haven't done any for more than 20 years)

So, any thoughts? Recommendations? Suggestions?

Thanks

Apr 8, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #2 of 2
Any low capacitance Starquad cable would be excellent.
Some brand names to look for: Mogami, Canare, Van Damme.
Use good quality connectors (Neutrik & the like)

Soldering is not difficult.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back