Replacement for W01G bridge rectifier in AMB Sigma25 design
Sep 20, 2015 at 10:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

LIos

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

Let me start by saying that I am a complete beginner at DIY audio...

I am in the process to start building the Sigma25 regulated power supply in it's 24V version for a load of 0.5A on a breadboard.
Being from far up north where we pay in Canadian pesos, I get ripped off solidly with shipping when ordering from the big electronics e-stores.

The cheaper way I found is eBay. Except for that W01G 1.5A 100V bridge rectifier. For some strange reasons, everyone on eBay is asking around 1.50$ for it and about 9$ in shipping where I usually find free shipping offers for small parts like these.

I have done a bit of research looking for reliable information for an equivalent part, and did found other bridge rectifiers like this 2W10 for less than 1$ but being the beginner that I am...I have an hesitation
confused_face_2.gif
not knowing if it could be a safe replacement.

I also found an even cheaper solution here where it is explained that one can build a bridge rectifier with 4 standard 1N5408 diodes. This is very exciting for me since I can get 10 of them for 1.30$ but then again...hesitations

Can anybody please confirm any of these hypothesis ? or suggest another cheap alternative for the W01G bridge rectifier of the sigma25 design...knowing that i will be using a breadboard, size or form factor doesn't matter.

many thanks.

Sep 20, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #2 of 7
Either would work. You're prolly better off with discreet diodes since you're building on perfboard but the ones you picked are overkill.
Plain Jane 1N4004s with snubber caps would be just fine...

Sep 21, 2015 at 6:02 AM Post #3 of 7
Hi MisterX and thank you for your reply.

About the snubber caps, I do not know where I should use them in this situation. Should I add them as parts of the bridge rectifier or replace some of the regular capacitors in the circuit by them ? Also, what values would be appropriate ?

thanks again.

Sep 21, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #4 of 7
The "snubber capacitors" would simply be added across each of the recitifier diodes.

.1uF, 100 volt multilayer ceramic capacitors would be a good choice.

Here's an example from eBay----->
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111078545502

(I prefer axial caps for perfboard but you could also go with radial caps)

Sep 24, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #5 of 7
Just to be 100% sure, is this how it should be ?

Thanks again and sorry for all my hesitation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back