Replacement for stolen Atrio M5s
May 13, 2009 at 1:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Sanooj

New Head-Fier
Alright, I've had my Atrio m5s for almost two years and loved them. They were stolen a couple weeks ago and I've been devastated.

My first reaction was to simply replace the m5s, which have done me pretty well.

I was wondering, however, if there is something new that might be better. My only issue with the m5s was that they really benefitted from being amped. I don't like lugging around an amp bigger than my ipod anymore.

So, any recommendations for a sub $200 iem, noise isolating, non-bloaty base and non amp needing?

Browsing through the forums hasn't really revealed too much that fits these criterion. Thanks everyone.

May 13, 2009 at 1:25 PM Post #2 of 9
most phones will get better with amplification: simply put, they cannot be driven properly from a dap. they need an amp to sound their best. i am a proud atrio v1 former owner but i sold them for some personal reasons.

nevertheless, i still love them and find their sound to be quite unique among competitors. a phone that may receive some coherent discussion is the turbine. it is a great phone that while not as focused as the atrio has a better midrange and does better even without amping.

May 13, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #3 of 9
A stolen pair of Monster Turbines? Just kidding, but seriously, I agree, the Monster Turbines are a worthy successor if dynamics in this price range is what you seek. I thought the Turbines were a better overall phone than the Atrios I owned.

May 14, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #4 of 9
i should also have mentioned that the victor ha-fx500 (or if you are duncan, the fx1000
wink.gif
) is a great dynamic model. it is unique in that while being a bit more laid back, it retains great speed with or without an amp. however, its bass is intense and needs to be tamed unless you really enjoy an incredibly powerful bass.

the atrio remains my favourite for overall quality and turbine for a bass that depending on source can be well separated from the rest of the spectrum. the victor falls inbetween both. in some areas, it trumps both but it would be perfect if its bass was just slightly less aggressive.

May 14, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #5 of 9
would think the only thing that might come close to the Atrios would be the Turbines.. the Beats dont seem to quite cut it as well as the Turbines... although i'm tempted to get a pair just for the cool cables.. lol

May 14, 2009 at 7:36 AM Post #7 of 9
Go IE7
smily_headphones1.gif

May 14, 2009 at 12:01 PM Post #8 of 9
I def realize that amps help a lot, but I'm just looking for one that'll perform the best without one.

The turbines sound interesting, not sure if they'd be better than my atrios but they sound like a worthy contender. However, I really like putting the shure cone foamies on them. Do any retail stores have them for me to rent them for a bit, or is it an online only thing?

I read your review of the victors and they sound pretty good actually. I usually listen in relatively loud environments and I really enjoy sound isolation for that, is it really this bad for the victors? I am definitely a bass head. I listen to a lot of trance, heavy electronic, hip hop, intense classical, alternative, rock, folk, etc.

IE7s seem good, would they be better than all three of these? The price is a bit iffy, although $215 on amazon isn't too terrible.

Oh and the atrios were stolen with the ipod, so I don't think their crummy look had much to do with it

May 14, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #9 of 9
the victor will isolate as well as the turbine but both a bit worse than the atrio when using similar or the same tips. however, the difference is minimal. the victor have an open port but it is buried behind layers and layers of material that probably only serve to provide air for the bass.

like i said, i cannot comment on the ie7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back