Replacement for Signet AM50 - Suggestions?
Aug 13, 2006 at 3:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

TomH

100+ Head-Fier
I've gotten a lot of good service from this cartridge but it is nearing the end of its stylus life. My research indicates Signet was the Audio Technica high end back in the day. Can anyone recommend a similar cartridge or a source for styli?

What are the best high compliance MM cartridges on the market today?

I'm using a Sota Saphire with a Grace 747 low mass tonearm and my current cartridges are the AM50 and a Shure V15 Type V MR (stylus also seems to be out of production for the Shure
frown.gif
)

Thanks in advance for the help

Aug 15, 2006 at 5:34 AM Post #2 of 4
Nice rig.

This isn't really a vinyl place. You will have better luck asking on the vinyl asylum.

Current suggestions would be from Grado, take your pic based on howmuchyouwanttospend. Watch on audiogon, there are often Shure carts going up for sale there.

Aug 15, 2006 at 10:49 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by TomH
I've gotten a lot of good service from this cartridge but it is nearing the end of its stylus life. My research indicates Signet was the Audio Technica high end back in the day. Can anyone recommend a similar cartridge or a source for styli?

What are the best high compliance MM cartridges on the market today?

I'm using a Sota Saphire with a Grace 747 low mass tonearm and my current cartridges are the AM50 and a Shure V15 Type V MR (stylus also seems to be out of production for the Shure
frown.gif
)

Thanks in advance for the help

No problem finding a good MM to replace the Shure V15 series.In no particular order:
AT 440MLa which just replaced the lesser AT 440ML
Goldring 1042
Ortofon 540MkII
The wooden Grados are good but they tend to be overpriced and hard to track.It takes an exceptional tonearm to get these to really work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back